2001 Jetta TDI spurts and sputters

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fisher0813
Glow Plug

2001 Jetta TDI spurts and sputters

Post by Fisher0813 »

Hi Iam new to this group. But could really use some help. I own a 2001 Jetta TDI, standard. No mods or anything.Just bought it a month ago. My car is now spurting and sputtering in low gears and some in higher gears but not as bad when it warms up and even if I have the clutch engaged it will spurt and sutter. Almost as if it will stall out on me. I had the oil changed here last week and a brand new air filter put in because the old one was almost back when it was took out. Also before any of this happened it seemed like the car didnt have any power when it came to hills. Im new to diesel cars and not sure if thats how they are going up hills. Could this be dirty injectors? or a clogged catalytic converter? I could really use some help.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 2001 Jetta TDI spurts and sputters

Post by bscutt »

There have been reports of the EGR system clogging up on the MKIV TDIs. Cleaning it out involves removing and cleaning the intake manifold or so I have heard. I have a MKV TDI and am hoping this problem is not likely to occur on mine. I am at 65K miles with no problems so far.

You should be able to find some info on line since there are various forums including VWVortex and TDICLUB just to name a few. In my experience there's a lot of info out there including this forum.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Redneck truck
Glow Plug

Re: 2001 Jetta TDI spurts and sputters

Post by Redneck truck »

I'd like to hear some better descriptions of the problems you are experiencing. Is it a constant misfire? I.e. does it feel like one of the cylinders is dead? Are there any fuel leaks? Is your battery good, or do you have problems starting sometimes?

First off, if you have not drained your fuel filter in the last 10k miles or replaced it in the last 40k (fewer miles if you fill up in rural fuel stations), it is likely the culprit. Next, check the mass airflow sensor by unplugging it (won't cause sputtering, but will cause loss of power), and check for a boost leak (look for oil sprayed on areas surrounding any point on the pipe between the turbocharger and the intake manifold).

Also, make sure the plastic arm connected to the anti-shudder valve (looks like a throttle body, part of the EGR valve assembly bolted to the intake manifold) isn't broken, as if it is, it will allow the butterfly valve to float shut, cutting off the air supply to the engine and resulting in a no-power condition.

If these don't fix it, the problem could be a faulty quantity adjuster or fuel cutoff solenoid, or your coolant or fuel temp senders could be bad.