New piston rings

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

StevenPH
Diesel Freak

New piston rings

Post by StevenPH »

I just reinstalled the first piston with new rings, and am finding the piston assembly to be VERY tight in the cylinder. With one piston installed, it takes about 40 Nm to move the crankshaft, and when it does move its very jerky.

Is this abnormal?

I measured each ring gap in the cylinder and they were accurate, and oiled everything for installation. I had a significant amount of blowby before, and Ive never done this before, so could it be I'm just not used to how tight these pistons are supposed to be?

Thanks!
'89 Jetta 1.6d
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Re: New piston rings

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

they are tight esp w/new rings, and with only 1 installed it may make it (turning) feel funny
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Are you sure that it's the piston rings binding and not the big end bearing? Try slackening the cap, if not already checked for...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

40Nm is somewhere close to 30 lb/ft, which seems very high.

What is the measurement without any rods in the engine (main bearings and front and rear seal loads)? On a new engine, this should be pretty light.

Did you plastigage the rod and main bearings?

Did you lube the bearings before checking resistance in rotation?

Did you install the cap on the rod the correct way, and the rod into the cylinder bore the correct way (and piston on the rod the correct way)? There may be a chamfer on one side of the rod where it works one way with the crank journal.

Was the piston/ring assembly lubed prior to install?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Post by StevenPH »

I think i may have found the issue -

i found each piston was going in way too tight, and when removed there was ton of crud (i assume leftover carbon buildup) all over the rings and piston. So much that it caused some of the rings to stick already. I think that when deglazing the cylinders i didn't realize how much was there, and didn't spend enough time on the upper ridge, and the rings were scraping off that buildup during installation. Then all of the crud kept the piston from moving smoothly when down in the cylinder.

I removed all of the pistons again, and honed the cylinders until all visible buildup was gone. Cleaned pistons and rings of crud and the first i installed went in much more easily and seems to move much more smoothly. I had to leave it for the day but i'm hoping this will solve my issue.

There is still a slight ridge on the upper cylinder wall, but the diameters from top to bottom are all well within spec. The ring gaps are spot on.

To your questions 82vdub -

the measurement without rods is very light - i can hand turn it with the crank pulley. Prior to my initial rod and piston removal, the crankshaft turned easily with a ratchet on the crankshaft bolt.

i haven't plastigaged any bearings - i am not planning on opening the main bearings unless i have to. Is it critical to plastigage when installing new rod bearings? The old bearings and shaft show no signs of wear and i had no other driving symptoms other than blowby and very low compression.

Everything was lubed for installation with motor oil, bearings, rings, pistons, cylinder walls, crankshaft.

I never removed the rods from the pistons, and made sure the chamfers on the the cap and bearings matched and the cap was positioned correctly.

Thanks for your help!
'89 Jetta 1.6d
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've personally plastigaged every motor I've built (not that many) because it checks: the machinists work, the bearing manufacturers work, proper labeling of the bearing for it's size, and proper boxing of the parts. I've found all sorts of mis-boxed and bad parts in factory boxes over the years. It happens.

Some may not know, but the rod and rod cap are a machined pair. You can't just mix and match them as they will more than likely end in quick bearing failure unless the journal is resized for the new assembly. It's the same with the main bearings and where those caps are installed as well.

Make sure you get all that honing material out of the motor before it gets into every oriface, crevice, crack etc.

I have too many to count
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Be sure to remove the carbon that was behind the rings.

The carbon will have formed to take up the wear in the old rings and they will be pushed too tightly against the the bore, possible premature wear, or breakage.

Vice grips and a piece of old ring good for decarbonisation IMO

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Post by StevenPH »

Great thanks. I picked up some plastigage and will remove the carbon from behind the rings.

Any suggestions on using a solvent of some kind to help dissolve the carbon to help with removal?
'89 Jetta 1.6d
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

I did a backwoods budget rebuild on mine back in 2004 with just rings, berrings and seals. Ran amazing! I just soaked the pistions for a week in paint thinner, my engine spun over very easy with all the new parts installed- I spun it over several times then re-torqued everything. This is a video taken just before I sold it with 50K on the rebuild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-YUR1_DaU

90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Post by StevenPH »

Great idea - i'm soaking the pistons for at least a few days until some new rings arrive (I broke two oil rings already - those suckers are brittle!)
'89 Jetta 1.6d
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Never could wait for a soak; so a piece of ring for the grooves, kept at an acute angle to avoid scratching, and finish off with some oven cleaner foam.
Wipe off after an hour or so.

I would consider leaving band of carbon above the rings on the pistons, if not scored, for extra compression.

Set ring gaps at 180 degree spacings, contrary to 120 deg dogma for maximum compression. Search for my rationale if you wish.

... girls like em ;o)

air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

before installing pistons make sure you sand a cross-hatch pattern into cyls, i like to use 330 wet or dry w/kero.
StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Post by StevenPH »

Would you do this in addition to the honing? I used the 3 stone hone from harbor freight. Honing left scoring on the bore walls - its mostly cross hatched - I moved the hone up and down fast enough to achieve some level of cross hatch.

Thanks
'89 Jetta 1.6d
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

The cross hatch from the honing should be just fine.

I have too many to count
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

thats if you go in both directions!!