got her running but....

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

got her running but....

Post by Intharbuddy »

Hey everybody,
first off thanks for all the help to get me this far. The good news is the new/old golf is running, the bad is I'm leaking oil pretty bad towards the back of the engine. I also had a good leak from the bottom of the dipstick but replaced the o ring + a smaller o ring in between the first and the washer to gain a little more pressure. That bolt that goes from the dipstick bracket to the bottom of the ip is a lot of fun.
put a new oil pan gasket in hopes that the leak was from there but its still just as bad. It could be that after the runaway incident the head sprung a leak, right? Fair amount of white'sh smoke from the tail pipe when I am accelerating but thought that once I broke it in a bit that would dissipate. Does it seem like the two possibilities for the source of oil is the head or the rear main seal? I still haven't gotten a chance to get a compression test but hope to soon.
Thanks,Niko.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: got her running but....

Post by 82vdub »

The valve cover can cause a whole lot of oil to go back down the back of the motor. Check to see if it's coming from there.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Post by Intharbuddy »

rear main seal apparently is the culprit. I spent a long time under the car while it was up on ramps and running. The oil accumulates in a couple spots, one being near those two bolts on the oil pan that are tucked up a against the transmission and the other is along the seam where the transmission meets the block but on the trans side. A friend told me to feel around in the little fly wheel timing check hole and see if its oily and it sure is. Had it towed to my favorite shop around here since I'm too busy with work and eager to drive this thing.
Looks like i blew the seal when the engine ran away. doofus move. I'm just glad I got the toyota pickup for work and this is just my fun travel car.
Niko.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

You might check closely higher up, I was just reading older posts about rear-seal leaks and stumbled on this:
Fatmobile wrote:
ringram wrote:My 1991 Jetta Diesel is leaking oil. It's drips out of the transmission bell housing. The only thing I can think of is the rear main seal (flywheel seal). Is there any other probable cause?
Anything that gathers behind the vacuum pump will drain down behind the tin cover,.. I think that's where it goes, might go on top of it.

The engine leans back and there's a ledge for anything leaking down the front of the block to gather. Like a bad vacuum pump seal.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10441&p=71029&l#p71029
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
texcl
Turbo Charger

Post by texcl »

I agree the most likely culpit is the back of the valve cover, sounds like you have pressure issues which could mean you have damaged or worn rings, although there are other things that will cause pressure. Start the car and open the oil fill to see if there is an air rush.
1980 Dasher 1.5l
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Post by Intharbuddy »

if it was the valve cover wouldn't it be pretty visible. I spent alot of time looking at all available angles and the only place i could see leaking oil was on the bell on both sides at or near the bottom. also if I pulled the timing check cover on the top of the transmission and felt oil in there wouldn't that also be a clear indicator that the rear main is the issue? I did pull the oil cap once while running and there was no obvious swish of air but I'm not sure how noticeable it would be. Either way its in the shop of a guy I trust and should find out in the next couple of days.
thanks , Niko.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Sometimes it's hard to determine where a leak is coming from. If the valve cover is leaking, it has to get past the intake and exhaust manifolds, and you have to be able to see it on the back of the block behind all that. Plus, the oil can run along the head/block seam, and along the oil pan and drop at the lowest point, if the engine happens to be angled towards the passenger or drivers side by way of a weak motor mount, or some other reason. If it's at the shop, they will figure it out. Hope it's simple.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count