1982 Diesel won't start... but then it did.

Moderator: Fatmobile

vclaytonw
Glow Plug

1982 Diesel won't start... but then it did.

Post by vclaytonw »

Bought it and used it every day for about two weeks, then all of a sudden it wouldn't start next morning. I did notice that the night before the temp gauge was going quite high, but it's broken, so I couldn't really go off that. And there was no smoke er nothin so I knew I didnt blow nothin. I didn't have enough sense to check the oil while the car was running that night, so I have no way of knowing if it was running low on oil. Next day when I tried starting it all it would do is go "chug-chug-chug-chug", but nothing. Wouldn't turn over. Anyway...
So after letting it just sit for a few months, I finally got around to dicking with it again. But by this time the battery was so low so I took it to O'Reilly's for a quick charge. Put it back in the car, let the glow plugs warm, and tried turning it over. All that happened is the glow plug relay made a horribly loud sound. Assuming it's broke, I bought a new one. I also took the battery back oout and did a REAL charging on it over night. Next day, I put the battery (now fully charged) and the new relay in the car. Tried starting it while a friend sprayed lighter fluid in the air filter: it sounded like it wanted to go, and it would start to catch on, but just still wouldn't crank over. Tried it like this at least 5 times. Then, I have this funny feeling that if I turn on the hazard lights, then let the glow plugs warm, then try and start it, it would start. It did! And it was running at a beautiful and steady idle like nothing had happened! So I turned off the hazards, then took it for a drive. Just fine thusfar. Any insights?