'83 Caddy outer CV joint

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Bigfury
Glow Plug

'83 Caddy outer CV joint

Post by Bigfury »

Just recieved outer CV joints, Meyle 191 498 099 FMY. The ones on the truck now have a snap ring on the inboard side of the joints. It holds the joint on the axle during assemble,but is it really needed once everything is installed. The new one have no provisions for a snap ring.Some of the German engineering I just don't get.Thank you and Happy Holidays to everyone.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: '83 Caddy outer CV joint

Post by 82vdub »

I believe it's needed. The outer joint is static, or whatever the technical term is meaning that there is no slip joint within the joint itself. The inner CV is a slip joint type joint, where as the wheel turns, the shaft needs to be lengthened or shortened (as it's fixed at both ends). That stretch or length adjustment takes place in the inner joint.

If you did not hold the outside joint rigidly to the axle shaft, the stretch now could occur at two different locations, at the inner joint, or at the axle shaft to outer joint. It probably could slip enough under the right conditions where the axle would come out of the outer joint.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

It has been a long time since I owned stuff that old. But, as I recall, the earlier style joint also needs to go with the early axle. I am thinking the early joints has smaller diameter shaft size into the center of the joint. In other words, the early joints and axles are specific diameter-wise. I might be wrong...been a long time.

I would sure see if the new joint fits the splines before you load them up with cv joint grease and can't return them.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Bigfury wrote:Just recieved outer CV joints, Meyle 191 498 099 FMY. The ones on the truck now have a snap ring on the inboard side of the joints. It holds the joint on the axle during assemble,but is it really needed once everything is installed. The new one have no provisions for a snap ring.Some of the German engineering I just don't get.Thank you and Happy Holidays to everyone.
Yaknow, the '83 truck axle shouldn't need the "clip".
I say "clip" because they both use different types of clips.

What kind of clip does your '83 have? It should be left in the axle when CV is removed
How did you remove the old outer CV? Hammer it off Use a tool to remove the clip?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Bigfury
Glow Plug

Post by Bigfury »

To remove the CV joint, with a helper. We held open the clip,located on the inboard side of the joint,with two small screw drivers to spread the spring clip open. Then taped the joint off the axle. Since the joint is held in place with the axle nut. Other than for assembly purposes would it work just fine without any clip at all???? Thanks for everyones input and Happy Holidays to all.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

AIUI, there is enough travel (extension-retraction) in the inner CV joint to allow the shaft to pull out of the outer CV, if it is not retained by the clip.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I think the 80 and earlier axles had the clip that was on the inner side of the CV and had to be removed. I think in 81 they went to the circlip style where you tap off the outer CV and the circlip stays in a groove in the axle. You probably have the older axle and got the correct CV for the year car. That's what I'm suspecting.

BTW, the axle nut holds the CV to the wheel hub, but it does not hold the axle shaft (the part between the two CV's) to the CV or vehicle.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yep, that's the old clip style.
I'm having a hell of a time getting the clip off so I can remove an old CV.
I picked up an old clip-style outer CV but can't use it until I remove the old one.

Maybe you should find a good axle shaft and put your new CV on it. Upgrade, get rid of the old PITA clip-style.
I probably have a newer shaft in the bucket,.. the short, driver's-side?

Your inner CV would probably slide onto it too.
I don't think they made any changes to those.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.