Quantum oil pan into a Jetta

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

rayray
Cetane Booster

Quantum oil pan into a Jetta

Post by rayray »

I am currently installing a Q engine into a 1992 Jetta. The machine shop that did the block part of the rebuild installed the cork oil pan gasket with some sort of heavy duty gasket sealer. I can not pull the pan off without a lot of force which I haven't tried because I would prefer leaving the Q oil pan in place since it seems like a thorough seal.

The question has been asked before and the response has been that a Quantum oil pan will not work on a transverse engine.

My question is... why?

Pickup will not be at the bottom of the pan?? Seems that the transverse and longitudinal engines both have a slight tilt towards the manifold side of the engine. Maybe slightly more on the longitudinal. Looks like the flat part of the Quantum oil pan will lie parallel with the ground on the Jetta while the pickup will be at the deep part of the pan which will still be the lowest part. I think.

Oil pan will ride to low to the ground?? I don't see there being any clearance problems there either.

Am I missing something?
'90 Ram 12V Cummins
'92 Jetta (current gas>TD swap project)
'86 Quantum Synchro SW gasser (future TD project?)
'82 Rabbit TurboDiesel Pickup (Totaled due to inattention)
'83 Quantum TurboDiesel sedan (crushed)
'82 Quantum TurboDiesel wagon (crushed)
'82 Quantum gasser (totaled by drunk driver)
'85 Quantum SW gasser (crushed)
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Quantum oil pan into a Jetta

Post by Quantum-man »

I thought someone else would have answered by now.

How does the foot of the oil scavenge pump compare between jetta gasser and the QTD? Once installed you could always meter the oil and see the difference on the dipstick, and adjust acordingly.

Quantums have the turbo in the wrong place for Golfy types I believe so you need a manifold from the latter.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
rayray
Cetane Booster

Re: Quantum oil pan into a Jetta

Post by rayray »

I am getting further into building up this engine and I can not see any reason to not use the Quantum oil pan. Seems one difference is that there is an indention where the Q motor mount would go. Ground clearance is the same. Oil will flow to bottom where the pick up is.

Another is the turbo oil return port is more centered. I am intending to get a return line made by the hydraulic hose shop.

I did have to bend the oil dipstick tube since it would hit the indention. I pulled the dipstick tube out of one of my other Q engine to compare.

I will post a response if I have any other issues.
'90 Ram 12V Cummins
'92 Jetta (current gas>TD swap project)
'86 Quantum Synchro SW gasser (future TD project?)
'82 Rabbit TurboDiesel Pickup (Totaled due to inattention)
'83 Quantum TurboDiesel sedan (crushed)
'82 Quantum TurboDiesel wagon (crushed)
'82 Quantum gasser (totaled by drunk driver)
'85 Quantum SW gasser (crushed)