FS: 1.6 TD shortblock $100 picked up

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

FS: 1.6 TD shortblock $100 picked up

Post by Quantum TD »

1985 Quantum shortblock minus pan. 1.6TD mechanical lifter shortblock. So, pistons, rods, crank, piston coolers, and intermediate shaft.

Before you get too excited... It's seized. The block was pulled about 8 years ago from a running Quantum that was hit. Then, it sat in barn in southern TN where water ran off a hillside and across the floor of the shop whenever it rained. It didn't get submerged, but the ambient moisture seized it up.

So, it will need a complete rebuild, which will likely entail you using your current crankshaft with this one (though, I can include a crank that needs polishing of the journals). The block has been soaking in ATF for about 6 months, so the pistons should come out easily. Nonetheless, you will need to punch out the pistons, bore it over, and rebuild it. I'll even toss in a few new parts for the rebuild (gaskets, water pump, chinese oil pump, misc). Or, if you want to find someone to rebuild it for you, I can point you in the direction of the guy who built my last bottom end (he's rebuilt about 3 dozen or more 1.6D motors).

But, it is a turbo block and probably worth saving. I just don't have the time or the need to get into it. I bought the engine for the manifolds and the head, and only found it it was seized after I pulled the head.