Sad day, new beginings..

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Sad day, new beginings..

Post by DanHoug »

i think i'll be getting out of the diesel track... my 91 Jetta NA blew a crank seal this winter so i parked it and got my 91 Jetta ECO going... it ran great, really strong, then i burst a rear brake line that had rusted. patched in a new line section, replaced a rear wheel cylinder, went to bleed the brakes and another rear line burst so i parked it too. had spent over 2 days lying under the car in a cold garage and was disgusted.... went out and bought a new 2013 Honda Civic!

so. at this point in my life i'd like to turn the torch over to another soul. i'll have 2 Jettas, one converted very successfully to run on WVO for the last 120k miles including -30F temps. another with a great, strong ECO motor and tight chassis that drives great. both bodies are good. full veg oil filtering equipment, spare parts up the ying yang, manual, injectors, GPs, etc.

i don't mean this to be a For Sale ad, more of a notice to the board of 'moving on' that has helped me incredibly. i'm not going to do the eBay thing and rush someone into a purchase. i want them to come to northern MN, look at the cars and setup and we'll figure out something. i can fix the cars this summer or you can cut me a deal 'as is'. i'm in no rush, it's cold here, cars in buried in snow and i'm not advertising yet. but y'all are cracked from the same nut i am and might appreciate the heads up.

-dan
engineer@kaxe.org
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Sad day, new beginings..

Post by Quantum-man »

:cry: Tiz a sad day. Let's hope that you don't get a rogue Honda that spends lots of time waiting to be repaired in a garage. Do they have a spare wheel?
There's been a bit of an outcry over here, as many cars don't even have one of those Austin 7 narrow things, and merely an aerosol in the glove compartment!
If I could find a QuantumTD like new in a lock-up, that would be my dream... But then I do have 2 stored away already :!:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

My old 86 winter Jetta was the same way. When I had to fix a brake line, I didn't know where I'd find good metal or how far towards the front of the car I'd have to go before it would quit leaking. Rusty vehicles really suck. As I age, I find myself with less desire to lay in snowbanks and fix my old cars.

Bemidji, eh? Way up nort', spring aught to be coming around August, bout a week before fall.... 8)
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

yeah, and you'd have to come with 2 drivers and a pickup for all the filtering stuff! oh, there's an 11mm complete engine and trans too.

gotta find the right wacko for all this stuff... :-)
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
Nevadan
Cetane Booster

Post by Nevadan »

I've appreciated your posts as I've learned about these unique and impressive vehicles.

It seems it's always a matter of time or money. What are we doing with our time (crawling around in the snow or on a cold cement floor) and do we have enough money. Are we spending as much money as someone who purchases a decent new car? Some yes, most probably no. When I had new cars I always wanted to work on them but couldn't!!!!

There's still something beautiful about these cars and engines; yes they require work, but they don't have a computer and if you get one that's not rusty, like I have, it seems it will last forever. Also knowing I can do all the work, excepting tire changes, is a good place to be.

I hope your vehicles end up with someone who understands what they are.
1985 Jetta 1.6 TD
1981 Caddy (getting a 1.6TD)
1987 Quantum Syncro Wagon, converted to 2.0 TD August 2020
1986 Passat TDI
2006 Touareg V10 TDI
1996 CHevy 6.5 TD