87 Vanagon to Diesel/TD/TDI

Moderator: Fatmobile

johnmarson
Glow Plug

87 Vanagon to Diesel/TD/TDI

Post by johnmarson »

Greetings, I am going to install a diesel engine into a 1987 Vanagon. The van currently has a 5spd manual transmission and no engine. (used to be gasoline)

I am currently searching for engines.

My question is: What engines are the best fit for this van?
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: 87 Vanagon to Diesel/TD/TDI

Post by surfcam »

In my world the TDI would be the dream machine. I believe the AHU/Z1 will fit. Not should about the earlier models. These things start at -25C without being plugged in a real treat in the Great White North (Canada eh). With 90hp and 150fpt you might even pass people. The down side being all that torque which can rip that weaker 5 speed apart. There's two way's too go about this. A M-TDI or install the wiring harness, ecu, and cluster. The computerized TDI will be away tougher journey than a mechanical one. I think a 1.6TD or a slightly souped up one is not bad either. But the real expert is Libby on this subject.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Featherstone
Glow Plug

Re: 87 Vanagon to Diesel/TD/TDI

Post by Featherstone »

I WOULD SAY AN EARLY JETTA DIESEL.tHEY FIT AT A 50 DEGREE ANGLE.tHE MODIFICATION THAT CAN BE TROUBLSOME IS THE MOTOR WILL HIT THE MOTOR COVER.hOWEVER YOU CAN CUT A HOLE IN IT ABOUT 6INCHES X6.THEN MAKE A COVER WHICH ALOWS YOU TO CHECK THE OIL WITHOUT TAKING THE LID OFF.WORKED WELL FOR ME.GOOD LUCK