1.5 diesel rabbit 1979 water pump pulley and hub

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

rrayfield
Glow Plug

1.5 diesel rabbit 1979 water pump pulley and hub

Post by rrayfield »

Driving down the road and heard a big thud. Alternator light came on, pulled over popped hood and the whole freaking pulley and hub are gone off my water pump. This was a new water pump from Napa but we changed the hub out for the old one because it lined up better. Now I'm looking for the hub and pulley. I know someone has one sitting around. Hit me up!

Thanks Ryan
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 1.5 diesel rabbit 1979 water pump pulley and hub

Post by Fatmobile »

What do you mean by hub?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

The hub is what the pulley attaches to. It presses on the shaft of the water pump. At first glance you may think the pump is made with the 3 bolt hub permanently attached to the shaft, but it comes off, anybody got a whole old water pump with pulley?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That's what I thought you meant, I've never tried to remove one of those.
Early large hub like your early Rabbit is supposed to have?
Or upgraded to the later small hub?
Any idea what the diameter of the pully is?
Offset?
non-AC?
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

I don't know diameter, it did have ac, but I took it of and moved alternator over.
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

Looking around on the net it says the 1.5 is 40 mm pulley on the water pump.
Joe Stewart
Cetane Booster

Post by Joe Stewart »

I thought new water pumps at Autozone were only about $30, and don't they come with the hub attached (30mm and 40mm models supposedly available)? I have several used water pumps with the 40mm hub and several wp pulleys - most of the pulleys are cast iron. I disassembled several diesel rabbits and Jettas back in the early '90s
1996 Jetta Trek, converted to diesel, 1.6L NA
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

Joe Stewart wrote:I thought new water pumps at Autozone were only about $30, and don't they come with the hub attached (30mm and 40mm models supposedly available)? I have several used water pumps with the 40mm hub and several wp pulleys - most of the pulleys are cast iron. I disassembled several diesel rabbits and Jettas back in the early '90s

I know the pumps come with the hub, but the last one of got from Napa for the 79 1.5 diesel came with the wrong offset. So I just assumed they were all the same. I had to take the old hub off the old pump and put it on the new one. Is there a part number that I should be referencing when ordering a pump?

Thanks
Ryan
Joe Stewart
Cetane Booster

Post by Joe Stewart »

Offset was wrong? Do you mean that your V-belts didn't line up at that time?

All these water pumps are identical except the only difference between the old WPs on the early A1 models and the later models is the distance between the bolt holes on the hub. One is 40mm (early A1 models) and the other is 30mm (all the rest).

I'll give you one of these 40mm pulleys for free. I'm pretty sure these pulleys were taken off early diesel Rabbits ("79 or '80).
1996 Jetta Trek, converted to diesel, 1.6L NA
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

Joe Stewart wrote:Offset was wrong? Do you mean that your V-belts didn't line up at that time?

All these water pumps are identical except the only difference between the old WPs on the early A1 models and the later models is the distance between the bolt holes on the hub. One is 40mm (early A1 models) and the other is 30mm (all the rest).

I'll give you one of these 40mm pulleys for free. I'm pretty sure these pulleys were taken off early diesel Rabbits ("79 or '80).
Thanks for the offer, your exactly right on the belt not lining up with the crank pulley with the new pump. That's why I had to swap hubs. How could I pay you for the pulley? Pay pal?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

rrayfield wrote:
Joe Stewart wrote: Is there a part number that I should be referencing when ordering a pump?

Thanks
Ryan
I think there are two different offsets for waterpumps, I can't remember if that is with the small or large hub.
Maybe gasser or diesel, just thinking because the timing belt is narrower the crank pully might ride closer to the block,.. guessing.
The stock AC pully probably doesn't have much dish to it.
Any way you can let us know how much offset you need,
so you don't end up with the wrong pully,
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

Still trying to work this out, the pully you sent (thanks) seems to be the right one. Ordered a new pump from Napa with a 2-7/8 offset hub, pulley sticks out to far 1/4". So then i ordered another pump online that stated 2 5/8" offset. The pump they sent seems to be identical to the napa pump, the offset is the same. So now I have ordered 2 more pumps from the same supplier (competitor's name removed by moderator)

Half way down they list 2 40mm pumps with both offsets, figured If i ordered both of them they would have to be different?

Anyone else had this problem?
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I've heard that Napa has more absent-T owners (I don't really know if they are owner but they say they are) then other part stores. Unfortunately they just supply a lot of warm bodies. The smaller volume stores seem to be better because the feasted interest owner has to work in there more. In Edmonton AB their daily volume has gone from 100M to 10M. So maybe it will work it self out.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
rrayfield
Glow Plug

Post by rrayfield »

just got an email on the 2 pumps i ordered... they are shipping one, the other is out of stock, the one that I assume is the one I need. Now ill have 4 new water pumps all the wron hub height.

Anyone know where I can get the 40mm water pump with a 2-5/8" hub height? something so simple has me down for a month....

Or how to make a 30mm work with my setup and what I need to change and where to get it?

Thanks
Ryan
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

To go 30mm you have to change the waterpump and crank pullys.

A 30mm waterpump pully is large enough to clash with a crank pully for a 40mm waterpump.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.