Loud rattle after modding the plunger

Upgrades to the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 engines that make them go farther or faster
szopenn
Glow Plug

Loud rattle after modding the plunger

Post by szopenn »

Hello to everyone

I have registered because I am desperately looking for some help. I am an owner of 1.6TD SB engine. Generally my car is under rebuilt so I am not driving it right now, however, I add bits and pieces and not that long ago I modified my pump. Namely, the pump was given TDI 1Z 10 mm plunger, I left oem cam plate. The engine got new Bosh SB injectors (DNOSD297), set to 155 bar. Timing mod and gov mod was also done.....

The problem is.... after starting the engine, I get the rattling sound which I can't get rid of
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iSkDO9U4wB

I have checked two sets of SB injectors (borrowed from my friend), the same..... I also managed to borrow KCA27S77 AAZ double spring injectors and although they made the engine softer.... I still can't get rid of rattling...

I also did experiments with delivery valves, I used SB and TDI ones and finally decided to stick to TDI ones because they make the engine work softer....

Any ideas on my problem?

According to people who modified their pumps using the same components, everything should be ok...
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Loud rattle after modding the plunger

Post by Fatmobile »

You tried retarding the timing?
Have you tried turning the pump while the engine is running?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
szopenn
Glow Plug

Post by szopenn »

yes no difference
8v-of-fury
Glow Plug

Post by 8v-of-fury »

Definitely sounds like extremely advanced timing to me.
Jeremy
1984 Jetta 1.9 M-TDI Daily
Governor Mod - 2010 Edition
Injection Pump Reseal Services
Long Live The Fɔlksvagən.
300Dman
Glow Plug

Post by 300Dman »

I know nothing about the specific Mods done. However, generically when you do stuff do only one thing at a time and then test what you did. That way you know what is causing any issues.

It is the same thing if you are making repairs and not mods. If you fix several things at the same time you don't know whichi fix sloved the problem.

At the base of the Plunger there is a Spacer/Washer that goes against the Plate. That Washer adust the Pisotion of the Plunger in relation to the Head of the Fuel Injection Pump.

The Spacer/Washer will change What positon the Plunger starts off from and how far into the Head the Plunger goes. I believe the Spacers adjust when the Bigin of Injection is supposed to start. Sort of an internal timing of the Fuel Injection Pump.
Even the Inline Fuel Injection Pumps have somthing that does that for each of the Element Plungers. Usually on the Tappets there is different thicknesses of Plates or on the Older Pumps there is actually and adjustment Screw with a lock Nut. Each Element in the Fuel Injection Pump is adusted to begin Injection at a spcified degree. That is different from the Pump to Engine Timing.

I worked in a Fuel Injection Shop but it was before the VE Pumps were around. However, there a company that used a similar different sized Spacers to adust a similar Plunger for the same reason.
So I kind of have the theory on it from that.

There is also a measuerment of the Plunger inserted into the Head with the Springs on each side. If you notice that there there is a spring seat on each and also a Washer on each side. Those washers are actually Shims that come in different thicknesses.

This info is coming from a Diesel KiKi-Bosch VE Manual that I copied from the Internet. While I doubt if the Diesel KiKi licensed Built copy of the VE is exactly the same it operates on the same design principles.