valve adjusting shims

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

valve adjusting shims

Post by Diesel Dean »

So i am getting ready to adjust my valves, after looking at my stash of shims i have found that some of them have rust on one side. Anyone know if both sides can be used? I am wondering if one or both sides are hardened. If both sides are hardened I will just flip the shim over and put the rusted side down.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: valve adjusting shims

Post by 82vdub »

I believe that the whole disc is hardened. I've installed them numbers up and numbers down before. You can probably use some scratchy dish/pot cleaning device and remove most of the rust, coat with oil, and install rusty side down. The oil should minimize any future rust growth.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

or try some crocus cloth with a little oil on it. Used to have some years ago to clean up rod journal scratches on my big block Mopar V8. Just something very fine grit. Since they are hardened you won't remove any measurable material from the shim. Auto parts stores used to sell it but that was 40 years ago last time I bought some. Maybe a NAPA store or a supply place for automotive machine shops would have it.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Great that is what I was hoping to hear. The ones that are a little rusted I will clean them and flip over. This long weekend will be a good time to get them adjusted. Thanks
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together