82 1.6L na vanagon headlight issues &fuseblock wire id help!

Moderator: Fatmobile

purvisgs
Glow Plug

82 1.6L na vanagon headlight issues &fuseblock wire id help!

Post by purvisgs »

Full disclaimer. Just bought this van, Bentley is on the way.

Key off-headlights and tail come on w/ hl switch in full on position.

Key on- with hl switch to middle "running light" position; hl and taillights come on, turn signals work for rear but front turn signals and hazards flash the headlights instead of side indicators. Pull high beam switch and hl go off, high beam indicator comes on. Also turn signal green led indicator partially lit up but not fully. With hl switch in the normal fully on position, hl off!

Cluster lights getting 11v to bulb but don't come on. Cluster removed and cleaned with contact cleaner. Same symptoms with cluster removed so the short? is not there.

Disassembled hl switch (there is a helpful vanagain YouTube video) and cleaned contacts, it is in good shape with no melting or any signs of damage.

HL switch terminals:
56 58b 30

Can anyone tell me how to test the voltages or ohms this should be reading in various positions, AND where the wires go? Where does hl switch ground?

Cleaned grounds and added extra ground to cluster wiring.

Loose (unplugged) wire found behind fuseblock
Red going to clear connector, becomes white. Paired with red coming from fuse becoming white with black stripe after clear connector. Picture is the best I could do...hope it's good enough!

Thanks very much for any input. I have been banging my head on a wall for 3 days with this. Have searched archives and read all I can on related issues but still not getting anywhere.

Anything helps!

purvisgs
Glow Plug

Re: 82 1.6L na vanagon headlight issues &fuseblock wire id h

Post by purvisgs »

No HL are not supposed to come on with switch only part way.

I agree seems like a bad ground or short

Where do the hl and HL switch ground?

If I can find out where the circled wire goes I think I will be able to start making progress. One more detail the wire paired (red from back of fuse block becoming white with black stripe) with the disconnected wire goes to the back of fuse 6

Thanks!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Check the grounds on the headlights and parking lights, I have seen the actual switch grounded but it's usually grounded by the load/light bulb.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
purvisgs
Glow Plug

Post by purvisgs »

New push on terminal and a little bit of corroded wire cut back on one (several replaced, not sure which fixed it) of the brown ground wires leading to the star connectors behind the fuse block fixed problem.

New turn signal flasher relay fixed the partially illuminated turn signal led.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

[quote][/New turn signal flasher relay fixed the partially illuminated turn signal led.quote]

Good one. Mines been partially glowing for two years. I'll have to try changing the flasher.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/