1.6l from 81' rabbit pickup

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Hawaii50
Glow Plug

1.6l from 81' rabbit pickup

Post by Hawaii50 »

Found this motor in a junkyard and I'm interested in swapping this motor into a small pickup (Ranger, Mazda, Toyota, Isuzu) for a beach truck that gets great mileage. I just have no idea if there is a transmission that's rear wheel drive that will bolt up to this motor. Was thinking maybe a vanagon would be rear wheel drive. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Aaron
farrier
Diesel Freak

Re: 1.6l from 81' rabbit pickup

Post by farrier »

I think someone makes a adapter plate for the Toyota trannies to put a 1.6 or 1.9 in older model pickups.
ad
Forum Historian

Post by ad »

...not really sure what your question is:

The only transmissions that will bolt up to it without an adapter plate is a VW.

The only VW in the U.S. that was rear wheel drive (and rear mounted engine) that originally had that engine was the diesel vanagon.

If you are looking to put that engine in another type of truck, you will need an adapter plate and modified input shaft.

There are other 4x4 discussion forums that deal with this swap, one popular one is a suzuki samurai. Toyota is another option, but the TDI would be a better swap in my opinion.

good luck.
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A
ps372
Glow Plug

Post by ps372 »

Hawaii50 wrote:Found this motor in a junkyard and I'm interested in swapping this motor into a small pickup (Ranger, Mazda, Toyota, Isuzu) for a beach truck that gets great mileage. that's why I wanted to come here and ask for help. I just have no idea if there is a transmission that's rear wheel drive that will bolt up to this motor. Was thinking maybe a vanagon would be rear wheel drive. I am really confused and I just need some hints. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Aaron
Hi Aaron, what exactly is your question? If the motor would work for a small pickup?