WTB connecting rod

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

StevenPH
Diesel Freak

WTB connecting rod

Post by StevenPH »

Anyone happen to have a spare connecting rod I could buy or have any ideas on where to find one? Jack is out of them right now. EDIT - I just found one!

I found a good used crankshaft, and towed the car in to have the block pulled, and cleaned. After measuring the old crank journals I found #3 was way off, seriously oval-ed, and metal had gotten through the pump filter into the gears itself. I'm back at work for the spring and won't have the time to tinker around anymore in there, and I just need a car that works again.
'89 Jetta 1.6d
Prairieview
Cetane Booster

Re: WTB connecting rod

Post by Prairieview »

Swish....all I can hear is net.

Of course, these connecting rods tend to be machined in sets. I would advise you to buy a SET of connecting rods....not just one. You very well may have a height difference on those pistons due to mis-matched set. And, still, I can NOT believe your crankshaft is not heat-chewed as well. But, there are a lot of experts over here....so, proceed.

The oil pump gears will have metal in them. THAT can be washed out. But, you also have metal behind the oil pressure relief valve and THAT is where the problem lies. The relief valve will probably stick open and pop the filter very soon (probably the first time you start the engine). the only way to clean out the relief valve is to drill/pop open the round holder behind the relief valve piston. And, then, you have to use a pin to seal it back up to run it.

And, contrary to the other advice you received here.....the oil filter did NOT catch all the metal. Oil filters have rather large microns. Chewed metal is variable.