What is this ported cover plate for? (1.6 diesel)

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Clydesdale
Glow Plug

What is this ported cover plate for? (1.6 diesel)

Post by Clydesdale »

Hi All,

I'm putting together my rebuilt 1.6 diesel and am wondering what the ported plate on the block is to the left of my oil filter mount. The plate on this engine has a tube (barbed) coming out of it that has a plugged hose over it. What is the plate with the barb supposed to be for? If I don't need the port in the plate I'd rather have a plate without one (less stuff to be in the way and/or fail). Does anyone know where I can get a blank plate, assuming that I don't need the port? I see them in pictures all of the time. A picture of the plate is below with the red arrow pointing to it.

colby
Site Administrator

Re: What is this ported cover plate for? (1.6 diesel)

Post by colby »

The older style vacuum pump (diaphragm) had a hose plugged into it that goes on that barn on the plate. It being blocked off shouldn't cause any problems, as long as you're using the newer vane style vacuum pump.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

As Colby said. However, you can connnect this port in this plate to the port in the valve cover and to the intake manifold to try to equalize the pressures in the block, and aide air flow to the intake manifold for removal.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Prairieview
Cetane Booster

Post by Prairieview »

If you still want a flat plate, I will trade you out one straight across. I think I have one in storage here in town.

PM me if you want to exchange....no charge. Just postage.
Clydesdale
Glow Plug

Post by Clydesdale »

All,

Thank you for the responses. Since I changed from the diaphragm to vane type vacuum pump I guess I'm OK with it blocked. I'm looking for a solid plate but don't want to get rid of this ported plate until I know for sure that I won't use it.

Set e