Remove power steering

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DIESELWRANGLER
Glow Plug

Remove power steering

Post by DIESELWRANGLER »

I got a leaking power steering pump on my 91 turbo diesel jetta.Just brainstorming here but I was wondering if it would have any adverse affects if I remove it temporarily due to lack of funds for a replacement unit.I was thinking that I could just take the belt off and maybe get a sorter belt.Other than losing the feel of power steering could this cause other issues with the rack and pinion.Also if it is possible,shouldn't it help increase mpg's.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Remove power steering

Post by TylerDurden »

The stock 91 system frequently has a two sheave freewheeling water-pump pulley: the inner sheave freewheels to the AC, the outer sheave is fixed to the WP and also drives the PS pump.

With the PS belt off, the WP will not spin. (That's bad.)

The freewheeling WP pulley can be replaced with an older fixed style and the PS belt can be removed... steering will be stiff, but driveable.

The rack won't be damaged, but you probably won't see any better MPGs either.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Someone on the vortex makes a hose that sends the fluid right back to itself instead of through the whole system.
It's supposed to make steering easier, with a power steering rack but no pump.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
DIESELWRANGLER
Glow Plug

Post by DIESELWRANGLER »

If it doesn't net any better fuel mileage I guess it would be best to fix it right.Thanks for the info fellows
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

Here is the link to EAA Engineering who makes the conversion kit.......

http://www.eaaengineering.com/steering- ... rsion-kit/

It has a jumper from the input to the output of the PS rack......

It seems like it would provide for easier steering rather than just disabling the PS pump and having to work against oil in the system.

I replaced the 14 inch wide tire rims with the older 13 inch rims which run a much narrower tire. This make the steering effort a little easier though not very noticeable with the PS operating. I wonder what the effort at the steering wheel would be with my tires and this conversion????

Any comments on this? Has anyone tried the EAA conversion???
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
EcoTX
Glow Plug

Post by EcoTX »

I installed that power steering loop thing from EAA on my MK2 about a year and 10k miles ago.

Parking lot maneuvers, making a 3-point turn, basically anytime the car isn't moving or just barely rolling it is pretty tough to turn, but nothing ridiculous.

I'm a scrawny skinnny dude and I don't even notice it anymore, once you are moving over about 4MPH it feels absolutely no different to me than when it had power steering.

I was deleting AC on mine, so figured I'd also get rid of the leaky PS system too to clean up the engine bay some more.
I like just running one 3 dollar V-belt for my alternator and water pump too.
I also know when my water pump isn't turning because my battery light will be red so it's like a warning system.

I would recommend it, especially if you are planning on deleting the AC as well, just make sure you have all the right pulleys to run one belt with.

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

The simpler it is the easier it is to fix and maintain. I really enjoy driving by my 86 golf. Just did the timing belt on her and it was pure joy compared to my 91 jetta with AC and the steering pump. No large blood losses on that job. I guess the further South you live AC becomes more of a requirement. It's my understanding that the cars with power steering don't have the same mechanical advantage as the non-power racks. I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you.
Last edited by surfcam on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
EcoTX
Glow Plug

Post by EcoTX »

LOL

Well I am in Central / South Texas so many would argue AC is a MUST HAVE, but I have gotten by with the windows down.
As long as you are moving and not sitting in traffic, it really isn't too bad.

I can live with more creature comforts when I get old and grey, or have kids to haul around.... I'm 25 now.

I also have a MK4 TDI with AC if I really want it, the MK2 is just a lot more fun to drive.
Until it starts hitting 95-100+ degrees, the MK2 is fine without AC for me.
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

ECOTX,

Thanks for the show and tell.

Mine is a 1991 MK2 with power steering.........I can live with it, but I'm an old Beetle man and love to get rid of junk that is not needed
I replaced the original 14 inch rims with 13 inchers so that I could buy cheaper tires that work better in the snow and are easier with which to steer because they are much more narrow.

I don't have my car right now so I can't take a look........but, as I recall, I think that, even with the PS pump removed, a second belt could be run as backup to the other which is driving the water pump. In other words, keep the redundancy of two belts on that all important water pump. Of course, it would have to be shorter, length to be determined. I'm not sure, but the PS pump's pulley might be necessary in order to tighten it.

What do you think???????????????????

PS: It would seem that the PS could be replaced if that was ever decided. Right???

Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

I have a power steering rack in my '85 Jetta. Is it OK to just cap off the 2 main oil ports and run it like it's manual? I have the pump and rack out of the car. I should point out that some of the oil has come out of the rack.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

EcoTX wrote: just make sure you have all the right pulleys to run one belt with.
EcoTX,

I'm at a slight loss here because I don't have my car in front of me......1991 MK2 Jetta diesel, non-turbo, with PS, without AC.

Do you think I have to do any pulley swapping to use the EAA jumper kit????

I don't think so since I would just get rid of the PS pump and its v-belt......

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I hear sometimes they have a weird waterpump pully that might need changed.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.