1991 Jetta Heater Box...Tape Over Deflector Holes???

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: 1991 Jetta Heater Box...Tape Over Deflector Holes???

Post by surfcam »

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can buy that HVAC tape at home improvement stores.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've looked and do not find it in any home improvement stores. Similar products exist, but they don't have as thick of an aluminum backing on them and the layer of silicone (or whatever) sticky side is no where as thick. I called the HVAC technician that used some around the house on a project here where he got it from, and told me that it comes from an HVAC supply house.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Neukirchen
Glow Plug

Post by Neukirchen »

Grainger Inc. can get it for you if you want another roll. I used to do HVAC repair as a R&M tech for a grocery store chain and got it there once. Don't you think the muffler tape will work as well? I mean, that I want to get it right, since I was paid to replace this heater core in a neighbor's '97 Golf. As I've said, I'll have to cut my way into the heater box and it' really: sealing the outside of the heater box, that I'm most concerned about. For that, I would really prefer HVAC repair tape, since it's much more flexible than muffler tape and would form a tighter seal on the outside. I just don't want to buy a g'zillion meters of the stuff. Thanx again for your time!