IP lever identification

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

86jetta1.6
Cetane Booster

IP lever identification

Post by 86jetta1.6 »

Does anyone know what this lever does? I just bought a '91 Ecodiesel with a seized engine, this lever was not connected to anything and the paint color does not match the block paint so I do not think it is original to the car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114225106 ... 457572755/

Pump Numbers:

0 460 484 027
R348 BS4015
058 130 081M

I have 0 experience with turbo cars, I have previously only had NA cars
Prairieview
Cetane Booster

Re: IP lever identification

Post by Prairieview »

That would be the lever to help activate a higher-speed idle when the cold-start lever is pulled from inside the car. It acts (common terms) to add a couple hundred (or so) rpm when the engine is cold.

However, there is bad news....you are missing the long center rod (center link) part of the linkage. Or, did YOU remove that? This pump is not truly a "turbocharged" fuel pump as such. They fitted "economy" pumps on these Eco's for clean emissions and, indirectly, more miles per gallon.

Someone seemed to have liked Halloween!
86jetta1.6
Cetane Booster

Post by 86jetta1.6 »

Ok, thanks! So there is a lever missing going from the lower lever to the upper. That would explain the broken part on the lower arm as well then. I read a lot about these not being true turbos. I hope to change that. In the meantime since this engine is seized and I have a NA car complete except the IP I was hoping I could temporarily use this IP to get my NA car going again. I searched old posts for hours and didn't find any reason not to.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

No worries running the ECO ip on a NA. I have one running fine right now.

The ECO IP has a more narrow plunger and longer stroke, and the injectors are set to 155bar IIRC. So, some fiddling with timing may be needed.

The turbo IPs can deliver more fuel under boost, without overfueling (making soot) at non-boost periods.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold