Changing timing belt and time a Z1 TDI

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Changing timing belt and time a Z1 TDI

Post by surfcam »

It's time to change my timing belt on my TDI with Z1 engine code. I spend 20 bucks to get a Vgate Scan OBO Scan with disc and a cable with disc that also plugs into the TDI's OBD II wiring harness witch is to the right of the ash trap. I think it is but I haven't look yet. From what I've read the blue tooth scan is not go to help because you can't disconnect the emission control over the timing or something like that? I've heard that the cable can be use to time the vehicle with the use of the free portion of VCDS'S or can I just hillbilly time it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
colby
Site Administrator

Re: Changing timing belt and time a Z1 TDI

Post by colby »

As long as you line the marks up and put the new belt on exactly the way the old belt comes off, your timing shouldn't change any. We changed the timing belt on my father's 98 4 times this way, and never had to retime the engine. It always ran exactly the way it did before the change.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: Changing timing belt and time a Z1 TDI

Post by surfcam »

Well thank you very much for the response. I'm a real 1.6 TD die hard and just bought his very ruff around the edges TDI on the cheap as a experiment to see if I could handle the computer and other glitches. It's been 80,000km of virtually trouble free driving. The -25C starting makes it a real winner in the colder parts of N. America.
I was thinking of using a trick I read about on this forum. Cut the timing belt in half that's on the car. Then roll the new one half on. Then cut the other half of the old one off and change the rollers and adjusters. What do you think of that. The only problem I see is that if something slips I'm going to have a hard time lining everything up again.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/