82 Westfalia with dead diesel Engine in PA should I buy it?

Moderator: Fatmobile

roehlerich
Glow Plug

82 Westfalia with dead diesel Engine in PA should I buy it?

Post by roehlerich »

My 85+ year old neighbor is finally willing to part with his 82 diesel. about 8 years ago he let it idle after driving it home from the shop after a tune up and fresh inspection. Then the engine overheated and the car just stopped running. I think he was running the car with a busted belt and the engine overheated. It has been sitting outside ever since.
I really want to buy the Vanagon since I worked in the VW Vanagon factory in 1984 as a college student and used to build these vans in Hannover, Germany. The only factory they were being produced. I even worked on the USA line for the exports.
What am I getting myself into? I am mechanically inclined but do not have the ability to pull an engine and rebuild it.
Can I get a different engine or have this one rebuilt? How much money will that cost?
I live in the Philly suburbs and would welcome any kind of help you guys could provide.
Paint is OK, Interior is OK. Has been sitting for about 8 years. Some rust but not like some VWs I have seen. Pop up top, full bed/kitchen.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 82 Westfalia with dead diesel Engine in PA should I buy

Post by Fatmobile »

Jack, here at vwdieselparts.com is an engine rebuilder.
So yes, you can get a rebuilt engine.
I'm not sure what it's worth with a bad engine,.. but there is some hope you could get it running without a rebuild,.. since you don't really know what killed it.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
roehlerich
Glow Plug

Post by roehlerich »

I will try to turn the engine by hand this weekend.
I know the engine overheated and he was looking to add radiator fluid. He is an older man. When he came out the car had already stopped running. That was 8 years ago. No sure how to free up a diesel engine. It was just idling.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

these engines do not deal with overheating well. It probably needs a rebuild or replacement.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe