how to replace parking brake cables on 81 rabbit pickup

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

auag
Cetane Booster

how to replace parking brake cables on 81 rabbit pickup

Post by auag »

im doing a rear brake job on my 81 pickup and the parking brake cables are froze...i was under the car trying to figure out how to replace them and it looks like the cable housing is permanently attached to the floorpan..has anyone replaced these?..maybe you can give me some tips?..thanks in advance
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: how to replace parking brake cables on 81 rabbit pickup

Post by bscutt »

The cables slip inside a set of tubes that go through the floor. You may need to spray them down with Pb blaster or some other really good rust dissolver. Get them clean as best you can with a steel brush so you can see where the cable slips into those tubes. I'll see if I can find a diagram somewhere and post it.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: how to replace parking brake cables on 81 rabbit pickup

Post by bscutt »

Well my VW parts CD does not show the cable well enough to be of any help. Just detach them from the E-brake handle then go underneath starting at the rear wheels. Follow them up towards the front until you see them go into the hard metal tubes. Spray them down at the junction, them grab with pliers and see if you can gently twist them loose. Then you can pull them out from the bottom. I haven't done this in a few years but hopefully my details are good enough to get you going. Still the hard part is reconnecting them to the brake shoes. Take pictures of all that area before you disassemble the cables from the brake shoes.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe