poll

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

should you add diesel conditioners to low sulfur diesel

yes
88%
no
13%

Total votes: 8

bailey
Glow Plug

poll

Post by bailey »

just curious to what people think about this
83 jetta diesel
Bobt250

Post by Bobt250 »

Sharkey,

Your situation is somewhat unique. The question is meant for the rest of us. What is your opinion of the question for those of us who do NOT run bio?
AndrewS
Turbo Charger

Post by AndrewS »

I have read all sorts of opinions on this topic in various diesel (not just VW) forums. I personally use Power Service's Diesel Kleen/cetane boost at the maximum concentration recommended. It is available at Wal-Mart as well as some auto parts stores and gas stations.

This additive is supposed to clean injectors, boost cetane, increase mileage up to 5%, lubricate pumps and injectors as well as reduce emissions and deposits. I definitely notice an increase in power as well as less soot. I think it really does reduce deposits as I no longer have a cold start miss that I had before using it. I must have had carbon deposits fouling at least one glow plug as the problem disappeared after I used this additive for a few thousand miles.

Does it really help lubricate pumps? Is lubrication a problem with today's fuels with our Bosch pumps? That I cannot answer with certainty. For me, this additive is cheap insurance with nice results in other areas.

Just my experience with one additive...

Happy Holidays!

Andrew S.
'91 Jetta Diesel
'81 MB 300SD (sold)
'60 Beetle
'94 Honda Accord
'90 Ford Ranger (sold)