Long time no see :) Engine ID quiery

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

MPalm
Turbo Charger

Long time no see :) Engine ID quiery

Post by MPalm »

Hi guys!
I haven't been here for years, been lost in the world of TDI's lately :)

Now I have developed a craving for a VW IDI again and have noticed that there's very few Golf/Jetta diesels on the market, quite sad considering how many still were on the roads just 5-10 years ago.

Anyway, I have found a Jetta mk2 diesel, a 1990 IIRC. The seller claims it's a turbodiesel but it has 54hp according to our "DMV" data.
I need to look for the engine code on the block to check if it really is a turbo block, but I don't remember where to look for it, it's on the side of the block, facing the radiator right?
So if someone knows the engine codes used around 1990, both n/a and turbo'ed I'd be happy :D

During my search I found a Caddy -88 that has 711k km on the clock :mrgreen:
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: Long time no see :) Engine ID quiery

Post by surfcam »

Just going by my memory but I thought the code was between cylinder 3 and 4 on the front. If it has 54hp it's probably a econo diesel at least in N America anyway no turbo inrichment for the turbo. Turbo engines are 68hp and 98 ft pounds of torque. Do T4's come with 1.9TDI's installed in Swe.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Re: Long time no see :) Engine ID quiery

Post by MPalm »

Turns out it was a real turbo engine. But the car was sold as an n/a so it's pretty much illegal to put a TD in it without going through a lot of paperwork. I might still buy it and convert back to a n/a if it's in good condition.

Reg the T4's I think they had a 1.9 TD IDI with a mind boggling 68hp or a 2.5 TDI with 90 or 102hp. There might have been a 130hp option too?
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km