Power brake booster

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Kanzan
Diesel Freak

Power brake booster

Post by Kanzan »

Need to replace the power brake booster on my 1981 Rabbit pickup. Looks like a pretty straight forward job EXCEPT, how in the world do you remove the 2 botton bolts on the mounting bracket? Can hardley see them, much less get a wrench on them. Have done all the vacuum tests, and it is the booster that needs to be replaced. Thanks, Kanzan
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Re: Power brake booster

Post by supersisu »

I took the brake booster off once because the clutch cable bracket on top of the pedal box broke, not for any brake repair. There is a bracket that hold the booster to the firewall, I think I was able to get the booster off the bracket then take the bracket off the firewall (you won't have to do this). It was a struggle to get the nuts off, it took forever with a wrench turning 5 degrees at a time. Hope these photos help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1981 Rabbit "Rosebud" (smashed-up parts car)
1980 Caddy 4 spd "Buttercup"
1983 Jetta 5 spd
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

simple solution, that bracket bolts thru firewall, and you have to jungle gym to get to the 3 nuts, not so simple, then when you remove from fire wall these 4 nuts of bracket come free, switch booster into same bracket. a 13mm socket, a swivel, a long extension, +perhaps another med ext, +a light. have fun, i just did one on monday.
on second look you in the pics have some different bracket there,
Kanzan
Diesel Freak

Post by Kanzan »

My 81 Rabbit diesel has a different bracket. I did find a good solution, bought a set of " flex head combo metric " wrenches. They have a box end rachet on one end. You can get at the bottom bolts from under neath. Would be the pits with a regular wrench as you can only get an 1/8 of a turn each time. Got the booster changed, now instead of poor brakes, I have NO brakes. Is the booster supposed to hold vaccum with the engine shut off? Mine looses all vaccum after about 3 minutes. I thought I read on here someplace, that the booster should hold vaccum for several hours after the engine is shut off. Kanzan