1.6 Engine Troubles!!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dirtroad
Cetane Booster

1.6 Engine Troubles!!

Post by dirtroad »

Shortly after a recent water pump replacement on my 1.6, my engine oil has become like sludge and I get smoke from the coolant reservoir. The engine has also started running extremely rough at cold startups. It also emits a white/gray smoke at cold start up. I am unsure if this is related to the water pump install, however the symptoms only presented afterwards. I changed the oil and filter and the new oil became sludge after just a few miles. Power seems to be about 75%-80% of what it used to be. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.6 Engine Troubles!!

Post by Quantum-man »

No direct link. Why did you change your water pump? It's not something done on a whim :!:
Likely a piston ring issue. Possibly a head gasket, or exhaust valve stem seals.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

he says hes getting sludge, so thats water mixing in oil, and theres no direct link from a water pump job to go into oil, bad job? doubt rings or ex valves as thats oil/combustion related, head gasket, or a crack that just came out of nowhere, or what
oh and dont run till you clear this up, and then with fresh oil run for a few miles, then flush w/a oil flush, refill w/fresh oil.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Lol. How did I not read smoke in the filler tank :shock: ? Probably because it was 4am local time here! Products from combustion do include water, but that takes a long time to accumulate. Definitely headgasket. Maybe damaged/weakened by your previous faulty waterpump. Can a new pump be faulty? What do you get out of that water expansion tank return water jet?

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards a head gasket also. I've got it scheduled to get fixed next week.
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

Do you run on Disel?
I`ll improve my English
dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

mtran wrote:Do you run on Disel?
Yes, with Lucas fuel stabilizer added.
dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

OK, here's the deal per my mechanic.... My head has two cracks in it. I have a spare engine, but I need to know if I can use that head on my engine. The one with the crack has a "hole" head gasket and the spare engine has a "3 notches" head gasket. What are my options? :?:
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

so car went into shop for water pump work, no symptoms until your new guy finished the work? why did you feel the need to replace the water pump, as water pump is simply changed out with a new timing belt. so now how you turn up with cracks and a blown headgasket??doesnt make sense.
if blocks ok you can use it, replacing selected parts, as you decide, new head can run up a bit, a head (bare) for about $300 and above, you should check if cams ok still, a new one can run $200 about, lifters, 8, $70, valves, $25 intake(trw), a little more for exh. valve springs, etc(and the work); oh yea hg, hdbolts, and stuff.
to measure notches for headgasket you measure piston protrusion, a table in in manual, or someone can post
dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

air-cooled or diesel wrote:Why did you feel the need to replace the water pump?
The old water pump was shot! Had to be replaced.

I forgot that I ran the truck hot a while back and that probably caused the head to crack. It just didn't show up until the new water pump was installed. The running hot was probably due to the faulty water pump actually.

I did some checking and I think I will try to use the head off my parts car. I cranked it about 5 years ago and the engine was ok then. The oil still looks good today. Hopefully it will work.
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

measure pistons for protrusion, this will tell you hg thickness, if you dont do any bottom end work, which you can decide, pistons, rings, bearings and stuff. take apart head, keep all parts in exact order, they go back in the same spot when reassembling, perhaps lap in valves, (clean up)lube everything when you put it back together, and you should be good to go,, turn head on side or put on a couple of blocks to give valves clearance, rotate cam a few times,
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Where are the cracks in the head?
Some cracks are superficial, and most used heads have them.
It may still be a blown headgasket, or incorrectly torqued down.

It's a rare crack that lays dormant waiting for a new gasket
Mixing hydraulic and shimmed heads and blocks may require blocking off of some waterways.

I run a hydraulic gasket on a mechanical head and block. All I needed was a crafted aluminium disc to fill the extra oil drain/vent.

... girls like em ;o)

dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

Quantum-man wrote:Where are the cracks in the head?
One crack is between the two center cylinders. The other crack was from one of those cylinders over towards one of the other holes on the side. The old head gasket actually looked ok to the naked eye.
dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

Well, I have to back up and punt! The head from the parts car has 4 cracks!
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Referring to your second head, 4 cracks could mean a catastrophic event, like adding cold water to an overheated engine, but unlikely. More likely at least 3 cracks are superficial.Logic being that the first real crack would prevent further driving due to pressurized watergushing out.
Common between the valves, or the prechamber inserts. We are therefore looking at between one and no actual cracks being anything other than superficial.
First head, possibly good, but looks bad, and is merely a failed gasket. Pictures lodged on photobucket etc would help

... girls like em ;o)