83 Vanagon 1.6 (timing belt questions)

Moderator: Fatmobile

sidbeck
Glow Plug

83 Vanagon 1.6 (timing belt questions)

Post by sidbeck »

I just bought an 83 diesel off a guy who used it on his ranch as a truck... I am knowledgeable in pretty much every field of the car but the engine which is why I am coming to you! :?

He told me he replaced the timing belt 20,000miles ago and, while I believe him, I don't know if he had the proper tools to make sure the belt would last a solid 90-100k.

First question: how do I tell the state of the belt?

Second: I got an estimate on a replacement (1000USD) and hung up the phone, declaring that I would never take the car into a mechanic (had previous bad experience) stuck wheel lugs, guy told me I needed a whole new hub (275USD), I walked out, went to home depot, bought a big wrench, and did the job myself) SO I guess my question is: how difficult is it to replace the timing belt myself and do I need specific tools to do the job besides normal tools you would find in a car shop?

Also, any good links to videos or help for changing the timing belt?

Thanks!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 83 Vanagon 1.6 (timing belt questions)

Post by bscutt »

it is not hard generally speaking but I have only done it on Rabbits. The Vanagon engine may be a little harder to do due to the engine placement and I can't say what's involved in accessing flywheel tdc marks and getting to the cam. I would expect the process is much the same but it is essential that you find top dead center for the crankshaft and then get the cam and the pump aligned accordingly. If you search in the General forum section you should find good info on the process. There are several ways to keep things in alignment to facilitate putting the new belt on including some suggestions I have seen involving cutting off half of the entire length of the belt so you can slip on the new belt part way, cut off the old one, and push the new one on the rest of the way. Never tried it but I like the idea. Anyway the first one I did in 2002 the dealer quoted 600+ to do it and like you I just did it myself. Be sure to change out the tensioner pulley when you do the belt.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

It's not hard. You'll need the tensioner tool and a lock plate for the cam. Also the lock tool for the pump. After locking everything in place, then loosen the cam pulley a little. Then loosen the tensioner and pull belt off. Try not to turn the block when reinstalling the new belt. otherwise you'll be going back and forth checking the block time over and over again. I hate that. A Bentley will be helpful too.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
sidbeck
Glow Plug

Post by sidbeck »

Thank you! Will I have to pull the engine?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Again I don't know the Vanagon configuration but I would expect that you can do it all in the vehicle as you can in all the VW diesels. Below is a small write-up I did a few years ago summarizing the alignment process but if you get the engine at top dead center, lock the cam properly, and keep the pump pulley in the exact correct place (locking pin helps a lot which can also just be a deep socket of the correct diameter) you should be good to go.

this is a collection of personal experience and some other good suggestions from this forum . This is for the Rabbit/Golf/Jetta configuration but will hopefully be helpful for the vanagon
:
Get the flywheel mark lined up dead on to the timing mark, the cam lined up (both
number 1 lobes pointing up and the flat line at the other end of the cam
perfectly parallel with the head) and the pump lined up such that the groove
in the back side of the pump pulley and the line on the pump body line up
roughly with the line on the pump mounting bracket. If you can get the belt
on and the tensioner snugged up and still maintain all those marks in
alignment, you should be good. From there you can use the dial gauge tool or
hillbilly tuning to get it timed just right.

Before cranking the engine with the starter, rotate it by hand clockwise
(looking at the crank pulley end) to make sure nothing is hitting due to
misaligned cam timing.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

No need to pull the engine
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm working on my first vanagon engine.
All the timing belt stuff should be easy to access from the back of the van, without removing much.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

If you come back, feel free to PM me. I've done it a few times on '82 vans, have the big thick factory VW manual for the Vanagon diesels, and still have my '82 diesel Westy that I can consult with pics and particulars if you run into any funky stuff. I know the '83 is different than the '82 in terms of having the 5 speed transmission, and that they aren't just swappable components, so some particulars on the '83 may be very different. I've never had the chance to inspect an '83 up close, tho.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?