Pump not pumping?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Pump not pumping?

Post by 82vdub »

Do you know anything about the injector pump you are trying to use? You may have installed one where the vanes are stuck or that's just worn out. Did the engine crank over faster before you put this pump on the car?

I would also suggest not doing a compression check at this point. If you're not getting fuel, it's not going to matter what your compression is. Focus on the fuel issue for now since that seems to be the pertinant issue at the moment. Compression and engine cranking speed do play a role on how fast/easy it will start, but it needs fuel. Flip the injector lines over and crank the engine and see if you get fuel. If you don't get fuel when the engine cranks, fix that issue first. No matter how fast it cranks, a proper operating fueling system will deliver some fuel - whether it's enough to start the car, that's yet to be determined. But, focus on why you aren't getting fuel when the engine turns.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

That's good advice. I have tried flipping the lines and still no fuel even at a low speed. I don't know the history of this pump, so it's possible that it is no good too.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you're not getting any fuel out of the injector lines (and you're 100% certain the fuel solenoid is working or removed the plunger and spring), then there's a problem with the fuel delivery to the injector pump, or something wrong with the injector pump. Since you don't know anything about the pump and have been bottle feeding it with an elevated bottle (ie: no issues with the pump getting fuel), the pump would be the area that I would concentrate on. Check with Jack, the owner of this forum, for a rebuilt pump. You can get them for around $500 or so.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

For what it's worth the $400 I spent on a rebuilt pump from Jack was money well spent. Made the Rabbit run much stronger and more smoothly. It's been about 4 years since buying it and I'm still very pleased with the performance.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

When I spin the pump with a drill it squirts fuel out of the top of the injectors when I crack them open. It also pulls fuel very quickly from the bottle. So it seems like the pump works. The engine just doesn't crank fast enough to pump fuel or build compression. I did only get 10.5 volts at the starter when I checked it. Cleaned the negative connections but still the same. I'm going to clean one more connection and if that doesn't work then i'm just going to go buy a new starter and see if that's the problem.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

It sounds like the lift section (low pressure) part of the IP is working, but not sure on the high pressure section. It will take having injectors connected to the lines to see if it can actually generate spray pressure (135-155 bar). Others have had pumps that bad high pressure sections.

Very important to be certain that the control/governor components are functioning... ya can't spray fuel that ain't making it to the HP head.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

Tyler Durden, do you think I should take the pump in to have bench tested at a diesel repair shop? Maybe the engine is cranking a proper speed and the pump is not getting fuel to the injectors like it should?
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

How to remove at least one hard line w injector in jar and see if/how it spray?
I`ll improve my English
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

How long did you crank it to determine there was no fuel flowing from the injector line?
Did you have the accelerator floored?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

I cranked it quite a bit with the pedal all the way down. To the point of killing the battery. I should also point out that I had the starter tested and it is fine. So not a starter issue.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

So now to this problem! Haha. I took the pump to my local diesel place and they fixed the pump so that it pumps fuel now. Now I'm just trying to get the timing right. There's tons of exhaust and it's trying to kick, but it just won't fire to get it running. Keep messing with the pump timing now?
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Have you tried using the block heater?
How did they fix the pump, What was wrong with it?
Glow plugs working right? How were they tested?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

They bench test the pumps there and had to replace the shaft that is above the main drive shaft. So now it pumps fuel to the injectors. Glow plugs for sure. It tries to fire but just doesn't.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
30dodgeboy
Cetane Booster

Post by 30dodgeboy »

timing too far advanced that its bucking the starter?

does the engine crank faster or slower with the wire off the fuel solenoid of the injection pump?
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

It's not bucking the starter, I don't think. There's no difference with the solenoid powered on or off. The pump is turned as close to the head as it will go and if my timing readings are accurate, then it's set at .034". I don't have a metric dial gauge.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf