charging

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

charging

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

so i have an old generic alternator thats charging @about 13.7-13.8v, when i have the lights on its a healthy 13.4+v, but when i have the a/c and lights on its about 12.7v, sounds like the bottom. then again its about 15yrs old, im planning on getting a napa bosch alt, prob ok as far as being a bosch. i want to see my #s then. i dont see how many volts the a/c uses, unless most goes in to the rad fan.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: charging

Post by 82vdub »

This is likely normal. If you keep adding load to a system, the voltage typically will drop a bit. If you ever notice when you flick your AC on at night and the lights dim, it's because of the voltage drop.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

i had, back in the 80s and 90s a couple of t/1's that had generators or swap-overs from gen to alt. so i know about voltage drop. none of those cars had a/c, that seems a lot of voltage drop for an a/c, and 12.7 would seem the minimum charge, i ll see when i get a new alt. i do believe the change up to alternators was for more steady current flow, as a generator lights would dim for low revs and more lights, accessories. an alt has much less change like dimming lights for more circuits turned on and stuff.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

The voltage drop with A/C use is common. What I've heard is that the A/C compressor clutch draws a fairly heavy load, plus most folks generally kick the HVAC system fan speed to "High" when they switch on the A/C. Result: significantly more current drain, resulting in lower volts. IDK... Could be just evil rumors(?).
J.R.
SoCal
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

i just got done with putting back together an a/c system, the 2 wires going to compressor, for the clutch, arent very big, and the one has to be ground, so where is all this current going for the clutch? i was under the impression the clutch took a good amount of current, i mean you have clutch, rad fan, vent fan, and a few sensors, a fair amount of charge to run this. i want to see my charging #s after i get new alt. not bad for an old generic alt, the voltage regulator says spain on it.