'85 NA Golf dial gauge timing. Hold my hand, friends.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Re: '85 NA Golf dial gauge timing. Hold my hand, friends.

Post by vwtyp133 »

Josh wrote:"... I've assumed the '85s have hydraulic heads, and ... "
Only the gassers got hydraulic valve followers in 1985. The diesels still used mechanicals until 1986, and even then (according to a VW dealership mechanic who was moonlighting part-time for me back then), it was mid-year before most of the VW diesel vehicles sold in N. America as 1986 models actually came from the factory with hydraulics.

As hinted earlier, it sounds more like a compression issue; obviously that's where most of the resistance to turning over comes from anyway. Have to agree with Tyler on the mpg not dropping noticeably with bad compression. Love yer block heater(s) for now... and get your customer $eriously prepared for a short block infusion in the near future!
J.R.
SoCal
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Thanks a lot, guys!

I'll plug it in, get it running, give it the hillbilly tuning treatment, and break the bad news to the owner.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

I am recalling the hand-cranking of the 1.6TDs during timing belt changes and two pump reinstalls on Quantums over the years; it would take a good deal of effort to crank past those tough squeezes in the compression cycle, and I could hear the hiss as the valve would open and allow the gasses out... Overall, cranking a properly setup engine with good timing and compression takes a fair amount of effort and rewards you with sounds. This engine was pretty darn easy to turn, and not once did I hear a peep of moving air.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?