volvo penta powerless

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

reimatic
Glow Plug

volvo penta powerless

Post by reimatic »

seems like here is alot of knowledge about diesel engines. i hope someone could help me

i have a 6cylinder boat diesel engine
model kad42
i found faulty intercooler that was leaking air.

engine is powerless when i put in gear/load
idle she makes 4000rpm but with gear only 1500rpm
i have checked airsupply / exhaust system
i have checked diesel supply system , filters and hoses and so on.
i have new lift pump
also i have changed the injection pump to a new one. after this it got worse, before it made about 2000rpm or more. (rpm loss because of intercooler leak)
the original injectionpump was sent to bosch workshop but found not faulty.
then we increased fuel ammount adjustment 3 turns clockwise. engine did 3200rpm, until the whole ip broke.
then we installed new ip.

now i am wondering if it is possible that i have installed the injection pump wrong ?
timing is exactly at 1,8 as manual says

edit. sorry, engine is equipped with the ve rotary injection pump
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: volvo penta powerless

Post by bscutt »

is sounds like it could be fuel starvation but that's just a guess. Also without knowing what your air intake configuration is you should check to make sure that is not restricted either. Make sure you don't have any restrictions in the fuel line that feeds the pump inlet. Also double check all of your timing, particularly cam timing relative to crank and injection pump. In fact triple check that. Also check for any restrictions in the exhaust as best you can. Have you checked the compression of the engine lately?

Since you have a lift pump and the intercooler there are other potential complications that are outside my area of expertise. My only experience with similar symptoms was with a restricted fuel inlet, in my case crud inside the fuel tank. If you can measure the volume output of the lift pump that might be useful to know. I know with my Jetta TDI you could need a rate of 2-3 gallons per hour minimum to run under moderate to heavy load.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

thank you fow reply

i have feeded the injection pump manually with electric pump with new fresh diesel. no fuel restriction

injectors have been tested by bosch mechanic.

no air restriction.

no restriction in exhaust. i have removed the exhaust pipe from turbo and tested engine.

no compression test made.

it is very hard to check the timing, and i can not understand how that could be messed up?
is it possible that i have installed the injection pump wrong, i have read in this forum that the 4cylinder engines it is possible to install 180degrees wrong?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Can you give us a little more background information on the boat/engine? Have you owned the boat for a while, and before the injection pump was changed? If you have, why did you change the injection pump (low RPM as you mentinon)? If this is all new to you, there could be a whole list of items we could tell you to check, but if the problem developed after the injection pump was changed, it's likely isolated to just something with the injection pump, timing, fuel or something like that that's associated with the injection pump. Just looking for more background information that lead up to where you are at.

As for the comment on timing the engine correctly, I don't know about your particular engine, but I have found that when I time my 1.6L VW diesel engine according to the dial gauge method that's supposed to be used, it will hardly start. The timing is way too retarded and I need to advance the injector pump.

Just an additional thought, have you tested that the turbo spins up properly and develops pressure, or that it is not a source of restriction in the inlet airstream?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Do you have clear fuel lines?
At least get a clear line coming from the pump back towards the tank.

Also agree with 82. Set the timing to where it runs best, not to some number on a gauge.
Small changes in timing make big changes in how it runs, starts and idles.
You set it to a number in a book and can't understand how it could be wrong for your engine?

Cam timing is right on?
Valve clearances set?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

Fatmobile wrote:Do you have clear fuel lines?

Also agree with 82. Set the timing to where it runs best, not to some number on a gauge.
You set it to a number in a book and can't understand how it could be wrong for your engine?

Cam timing is right on?
Valve clearances set?
i have already feeded directly into the injectionpump via electric pump with new fresh diesel no change
also i have spent lots of hours with clear hose with loop into ip. no air.
cam timing is very hard to check on this engine.
valve clearance checked.

i will try with different timing
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

82vdub wrote:Can you give us a little more background information on the boat/engine? Have you owned the boat for a while, and before the injection pump was changed? If you have, why did you change the injection pump (low RPM as you mentinon)? If this is all new to you, there could be a whole list of items we could tell you to check, but if the problem developed after the injection pump was changed, it's likely isolated to just something with the injection pump, timing, fuel or something like that that's associated with the injection pump. Just looking for more background information that lead up to where you are at.
last summer was my first with this boat.
it was behaving strange already then, sometimes had no power to get to plane. then suddently had enough again
at that time i was thinking that this was a fuel problem or maybe loose belt for supercharger.

then in the beginnig of this summer there was about no power at all.
so we started with checking air side, turbo, liftpump, fuelsupply, filters.
then i removed injection pump and injectors and gave them to the bosch workshop.
all came back with no problems found.
after installing these i think after that the engine only did 1500rpm. earlier this summer i have had it to plane/over 3000rpm.
then i found air leak in intercooler , so it pushed out all the boost pressure.
about at this time we increased the fuel ammount on this i.p. about 3 turns clockwise. after this engine did 3200rpm but hard to get up to that.
then after couple of hours it stopped working, so new pump installed, and i was back to where i started. now the old pump is back to the bosch workshop.

also i have removed the pipe between turbo and intercooler , so no restriction before intercooler, and also the intercooler is without restriction. tried to drive with the pipe removed

i have removed exhaust pipe from turbo, no restriction in exhaust. also tried driving boat with this removed, no change

no smoke at all.

edit.
first i found the faulty intercooler, and when this did not help i removed the injectionpump and injectors, and gave them to workshop.
after this the power got even worse.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

i'm not a turbo guy, but if the engine is timed to perform only when there is turbo boost, could it be that the turbo isn't spooling up like it should? Or, is there a waste gate controller to let boost pressure release if too much is developed? I wonder if you are having an issue with boost pressure buildup, or lack of ability to build pressure maybe in conjunction with some electronic timing controller - maybe something with a sometimes leaking waste gate controller?? Is there any electronic controls on the engine, or on the injector pump, and can you rig up a pressure gauge on the engine side of the turbo to monitor the boost pressure to see if it's consistant, or if it's erratic? Lots of questions, but just something to give some thought on this one. A guage on the pressure side of the turbo will tell you if you have consistant boost or not, and that could rule out some possibilities if boost pressure is consistant.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

there is no wastegate on this model. only on or off
no electrics at all besides stop solenoid, and supercharger relay (this is working correctly)

this boat has double engines both same model
i can rev with load the working engine up to about 2100rpm, so i can feel a real power difference, missing power.

engines have both also supercharger that works from 1700-2500rpm, then turbo is supposed to take over.
i have mesured 1bar pressure from sc. with no load at 2000rpm. same with working engine.
if i drive and push the engine and help with the working engine while driving i can get to 1700rpm and sc kicks in, then rpm does not increase anymore, maybe up to 1800rpm
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

reimatic wrote:
Fatmobile wrote:Do you have clear fuel lines?

Cam timing is right on?
Valve clearances set?
i have already feeded directly into the injectionpump via electric pump with new fresh diesel no change
also i have spent lots of hours with clear hose with loop into ip. no air.
cam timing is very hard to check on this engine.
valve clearance checked.

i will try with different timing
I'm not sure what that means, a "loop into ip". looped from where to where? Bottle fed?
You have clear fuel lines going to and from the injection pump?
Sounds like you had a clear line from filter to the pump at one time ,...
but no clear lines coming from the pump, connecting to the line going back to the tank.
If you see air coming from the pump: put clear lines between the injectors too.

A vacuum gauge on the fuel line will tell how hard the pump is working to pull fuel. Great for diagnosing fuel line restriction problems,.. doesn't work with an electric helper pump. I have a dash-mounted one in all my cars.

Great that you checked exhaust restrictions and valve clearances.

I'm guessing cam timing is hard to check because it's hard to find the TDC mark?
Around here we can pull #1 or #4 injector and stick a tight-fitting clear hose in the hole,.. turn the crank and it will pull colored water into the hose,(from a container). The level of liquid tells when the cylinder hits TDC.
Is there a slot in the rear of the cam like our 4 cylinders have,.. to lock the cam at TDC cylinder 1?

I'd love to see a picture of a VW TD with a supercharger.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

i have a memory that in the beginning of this i had clear hose on return and saw bubbles.
but then i did not do anything to this because i can not understand how can be air in a pressurised fuel system.

no air coming to pump from feedpump/filter
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

So are you going to put some more clear lines on it and get back to us with observations?
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

I spent a couple of hours with a new mechanic at the boat yesturday.
He even tried different positions in ip whiöe driving without any difference

He pulled out injector 1 and by finding tdc and looking at valves he said the gears are in right position

He wants the original ip repaired , checked and mounted before continue

He also checked all fuel supply and found no problem, as ive done last 9weeks

I asked him about the clear hose but he was skeptical to this as the whole system is pressurised and not possible to recieve air?
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

He mentioned right away that when put in gear engine sounds very hard working, like overloaded truck.

But could not say if something wrong with zdrive or engine just has no power

I think if engine is working 100% with 230hp the zdrive should break if example bearing faulty
reimatic
Glow Plug

Post by reimatic »

Talked to the bosch mechanic today

He has opened my old ip now and it was all destroyed inside

Pumphead is destroyed and the cam plate and other things

He said that it is now faulty has nothing to do with that i have increased the fuel amount.

But what could have caused this?
No water found in filters
I am thinking about lots of air in fuel so it runs dry, but still we have no air

It will be expensive to repair and i dont want this to happen again