Source for big rubber washers that go on motor mounts for 1.6L diesel engine?

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jrapp
Glow Plug

Source for big rubber washers that go on motor mounts for 1.6L diesel engine?

Post by jrapp »

Hello, Forums-

I'm trying to find a U.S. source for these big rubber washers which go on either side of the motor mounts in my '82 VW Rabbit pickup. The dimensions are 48mm o.d. X 22mm i.d. X 6mm thickness. I only need two of them. Thank you!

https://goo.gl/photos/K3M3oeLKe4uabZkF9
jrapp
'82 VW Rabbit pickup (diesel)
'05 VW Jetta TDI
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Re: Source for big rubber washers that go on motor mounts for 1.6L diesel engine?

Post by vwtyp133 »

jrapp - might be a well-equipped Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply store would have something close to the right size? Are those possibly some homebrew 'shims' installed by a P.O.? (or am I just not visualizing correctly? :? ) They don't come up on the ETKA pictures of the '82 Rabbit or Caddy engine mounts.

Driving diesel Dashers more recently & it's been awhile since I had my diesel Rabbits, but I don't recall having any rubber washers associated with their engine mounts. There are supposed to be some stout steel washers clamped in the assembly, however.
J.R.
SoCal
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: Source for big rubber washers that go on motor mounts for 1.6L diesel engine?

Post by surfcam »

My brother and law made me some fat washer for my 4BTA 3.9 Cummins out of one inch thick cow mats. I think it's made out of recycled tires. He just bolted it right to the frame. It's never vibrated so little in 14 years. The DIY motor mounts that it had after the transplant from a gas engine where absolute junk. This could be apples and oranges.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Ole 82 has those big fat rubber pieces in one or more of it's engine mounts. It's been a while since I was working in this area, so I can't recollect 100%. I would venture to say that they are more for noise than for anything else, as the mount would go right through an 1/8" piece of rubber in no time. You can probably fab your own out of thick rubber if you can find a piece that's thick enough.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That rubber is more like foam rubber.
Pretty spongy and flexible.
Not sure where you can get them.
I know you don't NEED them but if you are trying to do an original restore they are nice to have.
I have a small collection hanging on a screw around here somewhere I think.
They could probably be made with closed cell foam camper mat.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CHEGUEVERA
Glow Plug

Post by CHEGUEVERA »

[removed by moderator] they have magazines and have pretty much all be parts for 80s ND up