Valve Seal Problems?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

8182Rab82Cad
Glow Plug

Valve Seal Problems?

Post by 8182Rab82Cad »

About 10,000 miles ago, I installed a rebuilt head (from deleted by moderator). A few months ago, I started it and there was a bad clicking or tapping sound. It quit after a few minutes, but it was not the kind of sound you could feel good about. There continued to be a quieter clicking since then. Needless to say, I have not been driving it. There also seemed to be more smoke in the exhaust than I normally expect (been driving diesels > 400,000 miles).
I finally brought into the garage for compression testing. During disassembly, I noticed carbon on the heat shields to the extent it was restricting the injector holes as well as covering the entire shield. No. 1 and 2 cylinders seemed wet with oil. Compression readings - 540, 550, 490, 495.

Could this be bad valve seals? Should I pull the head and have it inspected?
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Valve Seal Problems?

Post by TylerDurden »

I would test the injectors first.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Re: Valve Seal Problems?

Post by vwtyp133 »

TylerDurden: "I would test the injectors first."

x2 Sloppy valve seals would probably show up as added smoke at the tailpipe, but drooling injectors are likely to result in the hyper-carbon deposition you noted, as well as the weird and fluctuating clicking/clacking you heard. A set of new injector nozzles is relatively inexpensive, and as a quick cleaning/R&R service project, can deliver amazing improvements, especially if your engine's injectors have been sitting for quite a while, allowing fuel to get gummy.
J.R.
SoCal