1.6 Head question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 1.6 Head question

Post by Fatmobile »

bc wrote:Turning the engine by hand is no problem.
That's my point. If it turns over too easy you don't have enough compression.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

It turns fairly easy, with some resistance. But prob not enough. It def only has 100psi in 2 cylinders.
I have a good machine shop I've used before, just trying to save money. Isn't there a backwoods way to rebuild these heads without having to take it to a machine shop?
Thanks for all the advice. I might have to cough up the four hundred bucks to have it rebuilt.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I use a drill press to compress the spring and remove the valves.
But grinding the valves, replacing the guides is done by them,.. then I put them back together and check valve clearances to see if a valve stem needs ground a little.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

Thanks for the tips fatmobile. I might just try that. Is the valve clearance the gap of when the valve is all the way open?
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

For this one, you may actually want to bring the whole assembled head to the machine shop for their analysis. The reason why I say this is you have not 100% identified what the problem really is. On head had zero compression on two cylinders and the other head has 100PSI on the same two cylinders?? Do you think it's coincidence that this is the case? Hate to spend the money redoing a head when you get it back and put it on and may have the same issue, or less of a problem until you identify what the cause is for the low compression. Warped head, warped block deck, cracked block, cracked head, bad headgasket or ?? The machine shop may be able to tell you a lot more of what condition the head is in before it's disassembled and you've removed all evidence of what the problem may be. They can also pressure test it to see how bad the valves leak.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

bc wrote:Thanks for the tips fatmobile. I might just try that. Is the valve clearance the gap of when the valve is all the way open?
No. You are looking for the space between the cam and shim when the valves are closed.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

I see, fatmobile.
I never had the block checked for warpage or anything like that. I simply replaced the rings and checked the bearings on the crank and rods. Replaced seals etc. So hopefully the block is OK.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Why did you pull the pistons out and do any service work to the block? Did you hone the cylinders before installing new rings, and did you get the ring gaps spaced properly from each other?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

This particular engine prior to me owning it had maybe a timing belt break or something where pistons contacted valves pretty good. Left a good stamp on two pistons. I replaced the worst piston.
I just enjoy learning about working on these engines, so it's not that big of deal to me to tear stuff apart or fuck something up.
I'm confident that the ring gaps are spaced properly. I didn't have the crank inspected by a machine shop. Was just hoping for the best. I did however forget to hone the cylinder walls. Lol.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf