The unthinkable.

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfcam
Turbo Charger

The unthinkable.

Post by surfcam »

Well I did the unthinkable. Filled my TDI with gas drove her 50km. After about 40km she did pulse a little. I just thought it was the wind. It was blowing at about 70km which is very normal for around these parts. Me and the wife had to drop some dolls off Treasure Barn in the town of Stirling that was about 50km from home. I guess they were off picking more antiques. I had shut the car down and when we went to leave it wouldn't start. Just spin over like crazy. In 100,000km of driving this I've never had this happen. So I checked the wire to the shut-off solenoid. It look fine. I said to the wife I don't know what could be wrong. She said didn't you fill it with gas. :oops: Now that the wife figured out what's wrong with the car it was time for the 8 dollar lunch special in the Treasure Barn. At least the restaurant was open. There were two gentlemen in there that by this time had heard about my troubles. They were going off to Calgary but one of them said he could top off 3 gas cans. I ask him if he could maybe get this hands on a small hose. As luck would have it, it fit right inside the rubber hose going to the pump. So I bought 3 litres of canola oil and after a little cracking she smooth right out. After syphoning for a couple hours I got her down to empty. Well I got lucky again there was a gas station on the same block (a lot of small towns in Alberta have no services) so I just filled her up and drove her away. I was wondering if this type of behavior could do some damage.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: The unthinkable.

Post by bscutt »

Wow. be glad you don't have a PD motor. I understand they won't handle gas at all. Don't want to find out.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

[quote][Wow. be glad you don't have a PD motor. I understand they won't handle gas at all. Don't want to find out./quote]

I guess that's another reason for me to stay away from the PD's. I've always set 03 as the newest TDI that I ever wanted to own. Never liked the idea of exotic pressures, oil and parts. Maybe the gasoline cleaned my two stage mechanical injectors and my Z1 will be all the better for it. :P
94 Grand Caravan
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Good luck with that!. Just changed the oil on my 06 PD at 88K miles, so far it's run like a dream and still mileage in the 40's in spite of the crappy new bridgestone tires that are apparently high rolling resistance. Won't buy those again. Loved the General altimax tires but one developed horrible road noise and they had to go. and my headliner is falling down. Also not happy about that. Otherwise still fun to drive. Thinking about the APR or Malone tune but may just leave it all as is.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

My z1 is my favorite car to drive. I had a leaking shock on the rear so I replaced them both. I did a four wheel alignment on it a few months back. I had to shim the rear wheels quite a bit. I cut the toe-in in half. Boy is it nice to drive now. Turbo oil line, emissions bellans line, and one glow plug is all I've don't to it in 100,000 kms of drive. She got over 400,000kms on it now. Oh ya the X-relay went as well. It happen right at the US border crossing. Me and the wife just pushed to the US and waited for the relay to cool down and away we went. I guess they come with a weak one and now you can buy the up graded ones just about anywhere.
94 Grand Caravan
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well my favorite car to drive is still my 82 Rabbit in spite of the usual occasional things you get with a 33 year old car. Headliner was finally secured with a staple gun and my A/C got to where it won't keep my expensive R12 in it for long anymore, but I installed ventshades yeasr ago and it sits in the lot at work with the windows down enough to keep it tolerable. Beyond that and the occasional leak through the rain tray, it is still a blast to drive and I can drive it hard and get 50% better mileage than the TDI driven equally hard. But they will both average over 40 driven sanely. Actually wanted the older TDI when I bought my 06 but the used ones around here were only a few K cheaper than a new one and had 100K miles on them. So far no regrets on the PD motor, hoping it will hang in there for as long as the Rabbit has.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA