1982 1.6 Caddy - waterpump replacement

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jonny
Cetane Booster

1982 1.6 Caddy - waterpump replacement

Post by jonny »

Hello VW diesel experts,

My 1982 Caddy has a N/A 1.6 with A/C. The water pump is leaking and i am considering replacing it my self. I plan on buying a water pump with the housing from [removed by moderator] - unless you guys think there is better quality from another source. Can I replace the waterpump without removing the IP? I am not comfortable removing the IP and resetting the timing, and I don't have the tools to do it either.

Thanks in advance for any information - Happy Holidays!!

Jonny
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 1982 1.6 Caddy - waterpump replacement

Post by 82vdub »

I prefer to do the waterpump and housing when I do pumps. The problem that you're going to have is getting at the AC/IP bracket to remove it or loosen it to change the water pump housing. It's not so easy on the cars with AC. I think the last time I did this I tried to keep the IP on the car but had to loosen the bolts so much to get at the one bolt behind it that goes through the pump housing, that I just gave up and pulled the IP. Maybe someone here has a trick, but I tried everything I could come up with to no avail.

The downside is that if your pump was replaced and someone used the little aluminum bolts that came with the car and didn't use antisieze, you'll break off the bolts in the water pump housing, which will almost force you to change the whole housing and pump assembly. Otherwise, just the pump is replaceable without getting too far into the job, if you can get the bolts out of the housing in one piece.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
jonny
Cetane Booster

Post by jonny »

OK thanks. From what I read most people recommend replacing the pump with a new housing like you suggested. Sounds like removing the IP is the best way - maybe I will have the mechanic I use do it, he is good with these vintage diesels.
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

I'm 2 for 2 without having to do the housing, but even so, you have to get behind the intermediate shaft pulley, which means timing belt removal.
(good time to replace timing belt anyway)
Various vehicles in various states
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It's been about 5 years since I last did mine (or longer), and I wasn't sure what all had to be removed for access to the water pump. That's a good catch though.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
jonny
Cetane Booster

Post by jonny »

great info Gentlemen - this site is awesome. happy new year!!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

on my AC equipped Rabbit I removed the IP and bracket to do the wp. It's not a lot of fun but if all the bolts cooperate it's not terrible to do. I did all new hoses too since I had the car 12 years and didn't know the age of what was there. I did this as a major maintenance cycle when I replaced my IP with a new rebuild (from Jack), injectors, timing belt, and so on. If I recall I had one of the long bolts wring off but was able to get the broken piece out once I slid the IP bracket away from the block.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe