Revs decrease slowly - post IP rebuild, 1.6L NA

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Michael
Cetane Booster

Revs decrease slowly - post IP rebuild, 1.6L NA

Post by Michael »

Whilst going down a hill, in gear, the revs increase with no pressure on the throttle. So, instead of moderating my downhill speed, as it should, the revs increase instead. Also, during acceleration and shifting into higher gears, the revs are slow to decrease. I just changed all of the bushings, seals, feed pump, and may have used parts from another - though similar - pump, and I'm slowly learning about the interplay of the governor and fuel screw adjustments... From searching the various related threads, I saw that sticking governor weights may have been a problem for someone else, and so I checked that and they seemed as floppy as usual.
Shall I keep playing with the governor adjuster and fuel screw some more, or look elsewhere; any ideas?
Thanx for looking at this post!
Nice to know this forum is still alive.
Michael, 1985 Golf 1.6L na
mtran
Diesel Freak

Re: Revs decrease slowly - post IP rebuild, 1.6L NA

Post by mtran »

Governor mod?
I`ll improve my English
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

I don't know about governor modifications. My aim, in rebuilding this pump, was only to have my Golf operable as soon as possible (ASAP!) I had been borrowing a pump from a friendly professional mechanic, which performed perfectly. However, I felt that it was time to rebuild my original pump which failed for unknown reasons. Upon taking it apart, I found that one of the bolts holding the control lever had stripped and so I used another pump body. Therefor, parts from the 2 pumps were mixed to make one 'functional' pump'. I will use my pump as it is, but would like to understand why it's performing as it is. I have many steep hills to cross and it's helpful to have my engine slow my descent (compression braking), otherwise my brakes will become worn-out. Please let me know if you need more information, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to help. - Michael, Eugene, Or., USA
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Sometimes the max fuel screw is turned in too far and that will cause the RPMs to hang.
Also bad injectors will cause fuel left over after the burn, which adds to the next compression cycle.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

My pick up once had almost identical symptoms when the big springs on the control lever were sticky... definitely worth checking those and the general functioning and adjustment of the acceleration cable itself if you haven't done so already.
Various vehicles in various states
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

Thanx for the ideas. I've cleaned the injectors by running a quart of ATF, have screwed-in the governor 1/2 turn and unscrewed the full-load adjusting screw 1/4 turn, which gives me more compression-braking control. I've also screwed-in my max-speed screw and have the idle adjust screw all the way back, which would seem to indicate that the full-load screw is still screwed-in too far, but at the moment I'm really enjoying my newly increased hill-climbing power and so I think I've tweaked this as much as I can. I don't get any noticeable smoke out my exhaust - which I always keep an eye on, and when/if I do, I'll now know what to do about it. I'm very happy that I'd decided to do a compleate rebuild on this pump and took the time to figure out how to do these adjustments. I also gave it a little dose of 'Hillbilly-tuning'. It's like driving a different car.