cylinder head codes

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

rjkuljis
Glow Plug

cylinder head codes

Post by rjkuljis »

I have a cylinder head marked AML 94. is there a way to identify this. It should be a 1.6 mechanical head with 11mm holes.

Thanks in advance!
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: cylinder head codes

Post by Fatmobile »

Those numbers don't sound familiar.
Looking for 363 something.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Is a the "AML" possibly a poorly cast "AMC" lettering, a non-VW-factory aftermarket head made in Spain?
J.R.
SoCal
rjkuljis
Glow Plug

Post by rjkuljis »

vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Yes, that's an "AMC" head; guessing that last character is intended to be a somewhat stylized "C" (note the inward 'lean' on the "A" also). AFAIK their castings are usually fairly good, although they are known (especially on the later air cooled VW gasser heads) to cheap it on the valves that are supplied with the their heads. Bought a relatively-new 1.6L AMC diesel head second-hand; will post results here when I can get a chance to go through it. It obviously needs a couple of valves, but I'm betting that issue may have been due to incorrect timing belt installation/operator error, rather than AMC's fault.(?) Further examination necessary! Will find out more about the actual casting quality as a mild port/polish are attempted.

Another 1.6D vehicle I purchased had a recently-installed AMC head, but also a badly worn intermediate shaft bearing, with typical oil pressure bleed-off. It lost oil pressure to the top end, seized a cam follower bucket in its bore, resulting in a broken cam & trashed head. Again, not likely any bad on AMC for that mess either.

Hope your repairs are going well.
J.R.
SoCal
rjkuljis
Glow Plug

Post by rjkuljis »

thank you for your reply. That is the same thing I have heard about the gas heads . The diesel AMC heads seem to have a good reputation as far as I have heard.

Look forward to hearing what your experience is with the one you have