Transmission oil in CV Boot?!...

Moderator: Fatmobile

tysonminck
Glow Plug

Transmission oil in CV Boot?!...

Post by tysonminck »

Hi All

I'm currently reworking my 1982 1.6l NA Diesel Vanagon.

After removing the driver side inner (transmission) CV boot, I was surprised to gather about 4 table spoons of transmission oil. The small black retention cap also just popped right out, but did not seem to be damaged. There was NO grease in the CV joint itself, but also no bad signs of wear and was working great. This CV axle is the drive side if I remember correctly for these transmissions.

Lastly, the inner hub of the CV joint itself simply slide on and off the axle after I removed the cir-clip. It was not pressed on like the CV on the passenger side axle. Is it possible that with this little extra play of the CV joint's inner hub (on both CV's of the D.S. axle) cause the small retention cap popped out and spilled that transmission fluid?

Could it have been a previous owner's fix for repacking a CV with oil rather than grease?

I hope to repack and replace both CV asap and would be curious if I should take any further steps while their are out to ensure happy CVs and happy Transmission life in the future...
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Transmission oil in CV Boot?!...

Post by Fatmobile »

I'd use a new puk seal, even if the old one looks good.
That has always solved the problem for me.
I'm not sure what causes them to pop out.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tysonminck
Glow Plug

Post by tysonminck »

I'll try a new puck seal for sure. I think I'll use some sealant to bond them better as well.
While the CVs are off should I 'dig' further and replace the end shaft seals next to the transmission?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If it looks like it's been leaking around the flange you can change the trany flange seal too.
I'm not real familiar with the vanagon trany flanges but most of the work comes after the axle is removed so you haven't gotten the majority of the work out of the way yet.
Only thing you would be ahead by if you do it now instead of later is the new puk seal, it's already up on jacks and the axle is already undone.
If it isn't leaking I wouldn't bother it.
Sometimes if they are leaking; the seal surface is messed-up and it needs a speedy sleeve or new flange.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tysonminck
Glow Plug

Post by tysonminck »

Thanks for the beta! I bought new pucks and I'm going to use them and see how it goes. I can always dig back in their if that tranny seal is the true culprit... For now I'm going to repack CVs and run it!