Rabbit Speedometer Cable Pics or info?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Rabbit Speedometer Cable Pics or info?

Post by 82vdub »

The speedo completely quit working on ole 82 a bit ago. I haven't gotten in there to test it yet, but with 425k miles on it, I'm suspecting that the speedo cable broke. I did pull the end out of the trans and the gear is still on it, so that appears good.

I was looking at replacement cables, and I find two listed by a company called ATP Automotive. However, they list two cables, a lower one that appears to be listed for the auto trans setup that's 38" long, and the upper cable that's listed as 20" long - but no mention of auto or manual trans. Both listings say that it includes the counter - which I don't think ole 82 has, unless it's something that I'm not thinking it is.

I looked over lunch at ole 82 and my cable is clearly longer than 20", but it may not quite be 38" long. Anyone have any idea how long one of these cables is or have any pics that they can attach? I've got parts cars out back, but none are apart enough where I can measure this, and for the $8 for each speedo cable, I'm not going to take two dashes apart to get at a hopefully good used cable - if you get my idea here.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Rabbit Speedometer Cable Pics or info?

Post by bscutt »

it has to be over 20" but I don't have a good way to measure either. finding replacement speedo cables has become a major pain and now you can just about only get repair kits which is just the inside cable and an end you need to crimp on.. My son's Corrado has a Passat cable in it because we could not find a Corrado one. It works but barely. I'm pretty sure I don't have a spare anywhere. I would estimate there's maybe 18" in the engine compartment, maybe a little less. It seems like there's close to a foot of it inside the dash but I have no way to get out there an measure any time soon. If I find out any more I'll post.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I got out there today and took some measurements. Under the hood is about 22", there's about 8" in the package tray, and as best I can tell, there's maybe 6" inside the dash area. That comes out to 36". The one cable is listed as being 38" long (and also for automatic trans), which I think there'd be enough for an extra 2-3" by a slightly different cable routing.

Can anyone tell me if the both ends of the cable are screw on? I can't get a direct link to the website, but you can go to the website below, click on part search and put in y-855 for a picture of it. Does this look correct? If I click on buyers guide when viewing the picture, all auto references say that it's for the lower speedometer cable, except for the 80-83 Rabbit pickups - which should be the same thing as the Rabbit. If someone can confirm that the ends are as they show in the pic, I think I'm going to try this.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/ATP/
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Those 2-part cables are for gassers with the check engine light that comes on after so many miles.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.