Brought a 1982 VW Rabbit Pickup back to life

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Geronimo 357
Glow Plug

Brought a 1982 VW Rabbit Pickup back to life

Post by Geronimo 357 »

She is running after sitting up for at least 8 years . I replaced the timing belt and was trying to perform the timing pump procedure but it looks like some bolts may be missing on the injector pump . How many bolts are there supposed to be locking the pump in place? The IP has a nut behind the gear that feels lose . I have a dial indicator but haven't taken the reading yet. Once I take the reading and roll the engine CCW then I would loosen the IP and move it to the correct position. Does that sound right?
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Brought a 1982 VW Rabbit Pickup back to life

Post by TylerDurden »

G'day,

There are three bolts near the pulley and one on the other end under the pump.

Re setting the timing, I quote myself:
Preload on the dial-gauge when timing the IP ensures that the gauge is following the plunger the entire range of its stroke. The stroke is about 2mm... so if you insert the gauge until it reads 2.5mm, you can be certain it will read actual plunger movement at any point. Then, you can follow the Bentley method by turning the motor backwards JUST until there is no more movement of the gauge, THEN reset the face of the gauge to "zero". If you don't preload at least 2.5mm, you might see the gauge stop moving and think the plunger reached full retraction.
After rolling back and setting to "zero" (+ >2.5mm) roll crank up to TDC and move the IP.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold