1.6 N/A exhaust pipe size, and mufflers?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Mathius
Cetane Booster

1.6 N/A exhaust pipe size, and mufflers?

Post by Mathius »

So I decided to try the gas header on my car, and have been thinking about pipe size?
I think I'm going to go with a 2.25 pipe, (after hearing that a 2.5 is stupid loud). But I have to wonder?
If I went to a 2.5, there's gotta be a decent muffler out there to keep the decibel level reasonable...
What are you guys running for mufflers?
I know I want a straight threw one, for the best flow possible. But I have to think that most fiberglass packings would be useless after getting full of soot...

Could I get some advice here.
Please..
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Re: 1.6 N/A exhaust pipe size, and mufflers?

Post by Mathius »

wpaosdj wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am But I have to think that most fiberglass packings :P :P
ผลบอลสด 888
Well not all are the same type of fiberglass, and others are mixed with steel wool.
So ya.. Most fiberglass packings.
I decided to say screw it, and run a glass pack anyways.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

After swapping the exhaust manifold for a VW Fox 1.8L gasser's unit, I replaced the constipated 1 1/8" factory exhaust with 2.25" pipe & 18" long fiberglass muffler on our (1.6L NA diesel) Dasher wagon. Results: Very noticeable improvement in acceleration (need all we can get!). Sound only a bit louder, and that likely due to shortening the system, the exhaust exiting just ahead of the L. rear wheel vs. the factory's location at the L. corner of the rear bumper.

Be sure to use enough flexible exhaust hangers to compensate for the system's added mass, as well as isolate some of the diesel's abundant vibrations.
J.R.
SoCal
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Post by Mathius »

I did mine.
The header fit nice, and I went to 2.25 pipe size with a thrush glass pack.
I noticed a power gain, but wow.. It's loud!!!
I set off 3 car alarms on my first test pass.. lol
It does seem smoother though, and the motor doesn't seem to struggle off the line like it used to..
But I'm gonna have to ditch that glass pack. It's just way to loud.
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Post by Mathius »

vwtyp133 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:41 pm After swapping the exhaust manifold for a VW Fox 1.8L gasser's unit, I replaced the constipated 1 1/8" factory exhaust with 2.25" pipe & 18" long fiberglass muffler on our (1.6L NA diesel) Dasher wagon. Results: Very noticeable improvement in acceleration (need all we can get!). Sound only a bit louder, and that likely due to shortening the system, the exhaust exiting just ahead of the L. rear wheel vs. the factory's location at the L. corner of the rear bumper.

Be sure to use enough flexible exhaust hangers to compensate for the system's added mass, as well as isolate some of the diesel's abundant vibrations.
I was gonna post this yesterday.
I did the same as you, and just dumped it out the side.
It's starting to grow on me though. But it's still loud.. lol
http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/Mathi ... j.mp4.html
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Wow! That does seem pretty loud & almost rice-burner 'rappy'. The Dasher wagon had just above that sound level, but only on its way to the muffler shop with just a 24" down pipe straight off the exhaust manifold! Space is tight on the early Golf/Jetta/Scirocco chassis, but maybe a longer glasspack muffler (30-32"?) would knock down the sound somewhat. OTOH some people get even more sound damping with two short mufflers in series. That may also fit certain physical space configurations better than one longer muffler.
J.R.
SoCal
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Thanks for posting your info folks, I'm overdue for exhaust renewal on my 86 Jetta TD and am considering upgrading to 2.5" pipe with straight-through mufflers.

I'm hoping the glasspacks suppress most of the drone and let through most of the turbo whistle.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Post by Mathius »

The turbo kills off a lot of that raspy snap. With a 2.5 pipe, and a glass pack it should sound good..
I have a 21" glass pack on mine. It seems like the more I drive it, the more it breaks in. It's starting to lose that snap.
I'm gonna get it routed out the back next paycheck.
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Post by diesel freak »

I found a new aero turbine exhaust muffler for $50 which was a 2.5 intake. Had it mounted to the rear and it was setting off car alarms and way too loud to deal with. The turbine smooths out and quiets down on the open highway but city driving and parking decks was irritating loud. I quieted it down by adding a glass pack midway between the manifold and tail pipe into the aero turbine exhaust. The glass pack cost me $25 with an internet coupon from advance auto. They will even loan you the tools to cut your exhaust to attach the glass pack. Still a bit loud but much more mellowed out. My wife can still hear me before I enter the subdivision but I am happy with the results.
htomasi
Glow Plug

Post by htomasi »

I also have a glass pack, and it is really loud. I'm thinking of getting a magnaflow at 4WO|Car & Truck Accessories to replace it and have a deep sounding exhaust.