New Thermostat/Temperature Question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Thomas M
Diesel Freak

New Thermostat/Temperature Question

Post by Thomas M »

This is the first time that I have personally replaced the coolant and thermostat on my 1991 MK2 NA diesel.
Temps here in Vancouver, WA are in the 90s.

Will replacing an 80C thermostat with an 87C unit cause the engine to run hotter after it has warmed up to operating temp??
I understand that the 87C thermostat will open at a higher temperature, but thought that the operating temp would be about the same.
My gauge reading has gone from the half way point (about vertical) to almost the next white line. Did not top out the gauge.

How can I be sure that it is full of coolant? I have more coolant left over that I expected. I can't get any more in the system.
About 3 years ago, all hoses, the radiator, heater core and pump were replaced. It is "spitting" very nicely into the filler bottle.
I've squeezed the hose and can feel fluid in them.

Comments, please.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Re: New Thermostat/Temperature Question

Post by sgnimj96 »

Seems like some aftermarket thermostats these days run hotter than their rated termp. I've had to return them before because they ran way too hot for me.
It's worth noting when the electric fan is coming on because that is also a set temp. If that thing is coming on all the time, it's running too hot (or the thermal switch screwed in the radiator is made for a lower temp range. The thermostat and thermal switch should match.
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

A higher temperature thermostat will make the engine run hotter.

Most of the gauges on my rigs indicate 1/2 to 5/8 on the scale when fully warmed, 3/4 when pulling up long hills.

A MK2 will self-purge air, provided the small hose is not obstructed. The stream should be steady, not spitting/sputtering.

A handheld laser thermometer is handy for cooling system work and much more.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

Thanks, TylerDurden.

"Spitting" was just a figure a speech. It is running pretty steady. Good the hear the MK2 will self purge.

At 75F ambient and a run of about 8 miles, the gauge reads about 3/4. After idling in my driveway for about a minute, the fan comes on and runs for a short time.
With my laser thermometer the front of the block read 214F and the head near the radiator hose about 195F.

I'm thinking about re-installing an 80C thermostat. With the 80C, I would almost always see 1/2 gauge deflection. What do you think? Are my temps excessive???
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I'd probably put in the 80C t-stat.

This past week has been in the seventies here and my fan hasn't come on, around town or after highway runs.

The temps might not be excessive, but there is half the headroom for hard operation.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Nice if the temp gauge rides near the middle,.. or maybe a little above but not much.
I don't like them running lower than that.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

IMO the only thermostats I'd use would be the German units, and even then they'd all get tested by thermometer in boiling water, before installation. Once tested a batch of 10 new-from-the-box brand S---- thermostats for a wholesale customer: 3 were defective!

Have also found much more effective cooling by merely cleaning up any casting flash around the water pump inlet & outlet. Obviously, nothing should be done to alter the pump's actual impeller-to-wall dimensions. Some pumps have cast impellers, while most others are of stamped design. Some folks say that a plate (disk) on the rear of the impellers improves pumping, but I don't recall seeing such a design for our diesels, or if such a unit would even fit inside the mounting flange.

With an engine that combines an iron block, an aluminum head, pistons of a different alloy of aluminum, iron rings & inconel prechambers, it needs to keep fairly close to the working temps the designers & metallurgists specified to attain best fuel utilization for power, economy & lowest emissions, as well as longest operating life span. My personal favorite is to use the 87F stat & as was said, match that up with a similarly-rated thermo-fan switch, but it all has to be working perfectly, including pump flow.
J.R.
SoCal