Old rabbit needs ac and serpentine belt

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Impala60
Glow Plug

Old rabbit needs ac and serpentine belt

Post by Impala60 »

Hi, I'm brand new to the VW diesel world and looking for some experience.Just got an 81 Rabbit with the 1.6 non turbo.Just changed the timing belt successfully and corrected a walking problem. Ready to start fixing more issues. My Rabbit has been abused by previous owners and needs lots of TLC. The ac has been removed (brackets,hoses, evaporator, everything). So I need to build a completely new system, and the alternator pulley doesn't line up good with the other 2 pulleys. I'm thinking a serpentine system is the way to go. Any ideas?
Remember I am new to VW diesels and am not familiar with alot of the different types and terms used,but I learn quickly. Thanks alot .
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Old rabbit needs ac and serpentine belt

Post by TylerDurden »

The original AC setup used the compressor with a double sheave pulley: the outboard sheave lines up with the crank and water pump, the inner sheave only drives the alternator with the use of a tensioner pulley.

I'd skip the serpentine setup for now and go stock. It works fine when the engine is running smoothly.

I'm getting my AC back together right now. I ordered my condenser via ebay Canada... takes a couple weeks because it comes from Europe. The other bits can be found in the US.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't know about serpentine belt conversions on a MK2.
But I do have a stash of AC hoses,... and maybe a stock condensor.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

the 81 A/C has no tensioner pulley between the compressor and the alternator. It's probably why that belt is such a problem and will never stay tight, coupled with the wear of the pivot area on the bracket that the alternator mounts to. However mine seems to work fine if once it wears into the "not tight" mode and just flops but runs the alternator just fine. I'll assume that you still have all the inside parts for y our A/C system (evaporator, valves and piping under the dash, etc.).
Getting the compressor mounted and tensioned properly in its bracket is also a little challenging. I usually have to rig up some sort of 2x4 and my hydraulic jack under the car to get it to the right spot to tension it. Good parts is that it seems to hold that tension fairly well without overly frequent adjustments. My A/C is no longer in use on my Rabbit since I never found my leak and with the ventshades and parking in the shade with windows down a couple inches it's just not a huge detriment to not have A/C. Fortunately I don't spend much time in stopped traffic in my commute though. Some day I'll have to find the leak and go through the exercise of sealing it up but for now it's low priority. Good luck with reconfiguring your 81.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Doh, I have some stock MK1 hoses and brackets too. ha.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.