Ac delete golf mk2 1.6td

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Ac delete golf mk2 1.6td

Post by ccarneiro »

Greetings

Im in the middle of an ac delete on my mk2 1.6td and i found a post of yours regarding this matter (with no pics, unfortunately )
I already removed all ac components. I was hopping i could get some tips on how to perform this mod and adapt my current parts, ie, alternator and bracket (im already making a custom pulley to make it align with the water pump and engine ones).
Any tips, tricks or pics?
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Re: Ac delete golf mk2 1.6td

Post by sgnimj96 »

i've been messing with a non-turbo a/c delete in my spare time on a 86' mk2... problem is I did it with the radiator out.
The real problem is the alternator being too close the radiator hoses.
I bought a pulley off ebay for ford that fits well, got a mk1 adjuster bracket (long) and tightened it from the top and worked but totally hits the top radiator hose. Belt needed is about 38". Spent about $40 total. Going for the single belt setup.
Then, I ground on the cast iron bracket, swung the alt down as far as I could and bent the adjuster bracket arm - and it fit, but uncomfortably close to the lower radiator hose. That wide a/c radiator is just in the way (of the alternator).
ImageI may get the smaller non-a/c radiator - not happy about the idea of less cooling.

Power steering has to go. I don't know how to do the a/c delete and keep all that stuff. Also ditching that belt wheel bearing roller thing btw.
Some people get the non-a/c alternator that has the adjusting closer. Maybe your alternator fits better, but this is the best I could do with mine.
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

When I did this on my 90 Jetta, I opted for the smaller 65 amp alternator with the correct pulley offset, and shimmed the adjuster bracket myself. Worked fairly well, worst problem I had was finding quality v-belts. I didn't have any issues with clearance though, which was nice, and I didn't need the extra amps for anything.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Good picture of how much you ground off the bracket.
It can come down closer to the bracket.
You should be able to use the old AC alternator belt,.. might have to put it on before you mount the alternator.
You need to take some off the alternator too. Mark where they touch and remove just that spot. Looks like you've removed metal where they don't even touch.
The 2-part adjuster sits closer to the alternator so it doesn't come as close to the rad hose.
I can't find any of the old pics, if anyone kept some of my old non-AC alt mod pics post them up.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Post by ccarneiro »

sgnimj96 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:43 pm i've been messing with a non-turbo a/c delete in my spare time on a 86' mk2... problem is I did it with the radiator out.
The real problem is the alternator being too close the radiator hoses.
I bought a pulley off ebay for ford that fits well, got a mk1 adjuster bracket (long) and tightened it from the top and worked but totally hits the top radiator hose. Belt needed is about 38". Spent about $40 total. Going for the single belt setup.
Then, I ground on the cast iron bracket, swung the alt down as far as I could and bent the adjuster bracket arm - and it fit, but uncomfortably close to the lower radiator hose. That wide a/c radiator is just in the way (of the alternator).
ImageI may get the smaller non-a/c radiator - not happy about the idea of less cooling.

Power steering has to go. I don't know how to do the a/c delete and keep all that stuff. Also ditching that belt wheel bearing roller thing btw.
Some people get the non-a/c alternator that has the adjusting closer. Maybe your alternator fits better, but this is the best I could do with mine.

Thaks a lot! This is exactly what i wanted to do! Power steering isnt a problem, since the car doesn't have it :lol:
Any idea on the mk1 long bracket part number? Or its dimensions, so that i can run off to the "car cemetery", as i like to call it and get the right one?
Also, i don´t see a tensioneer, how do you tension the belt afterwards?
ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Post by ccarneiro »

colby wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:02 pm When I did this on my 90 Jetta, I opted for the smaller 65 amp alternator with the correct pulley offset, and shimmed the adjuster bracket myself. Worked fairly well, worst problem I had was finding quality v-belts. I didn't have any issues with clearance though, which was nice, and I didn't need the extra amps for anything.
I'm trying to keep mine since i payed to get it fixed about a month ago. Also, since the car is not my daily and I ride it 2 or 3 times a week, i guess an extra boost won´t do any harm to the battery life
ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Post by ccarneiro »

Fatmobile wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 pm Good picture of how much you ground off the bracket.
It can come down closer to the bracket.
You should be able to use the old AC alternator belt,.. might have to put it on before you mount the alternator.
You need to take some off the alternator too. Mark where they touch and remove just that spot. Looks like you've removed metal where they don't even touch.
The 2-part adjuster sits closer to the alternator so it doesn't come as close to the rad hose.
I can't find any of the old pics, if anyone kept some of my old non-AC alt mod pics post them up.
Where exactly do i have to grind? Maybe I can visualize it better once i have all the parts and start the reassembly, but right not im just not seeing it :oops:
ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Post by ccarneiro »

Another thing, I am expecting better cooling, after removing the ac radiator thingy. Am I right?
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

Keep in mind, my setup isn't running yet... there are more proven methods out there, somewhere. I began guessing based on what I could find and following my inner cheapness. So as usual, I was wrong a lot.
This is how I started - got a GP-688 ford pulley and a mk1 adjuster bracket from ebay
trying the mk1 bar from ebay
Image 171903131A you might want to try something else
all I had to do was flatten it out and if I had the smaller radiator it would have worked. Stock a/c radiator upper hose hits the alt bad doing the adjuster bracket from the top.

Ok back to the other method... I ground on the bracket some more, got the alt a little closer and cut my adjuster bracket a litter shorter
Waved the magic torch and turned the mk1 long bracket into this
Image kind of a lot of work, extended the groove unnecessarily
drilled the hole and cut the end (twice), but there you have it
Image Still not great, but better.
38"x1/2" belt went on, which I think is the stock alt belt (almost didn't have to take out the alt pivot bolt) btw 25-9375 NAPA was the belt

Oh, and that ac radiator thingy- I don't know...
just be sure to wear some good dust and eye protector thingys if your gonna grind on that cast iron bracket. I used a respirator mask.
BTW, that iron dust will turn into visible rust if left on the metal of your car.
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

Good job. Reading these posts as of late have made me miss working on my own but where I am, the salt has long eaten the bodys and even the junky ones people want a fortune.
ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Post by ccarneiro »

sgnimj96 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:02 pm Keep in mind, my setup isn't running yet... there are more proven methods out there, somewhere. I began guessing based on what I could find and following my inner cheapness. So as usual, I was wrong a lot.
This is how I started - got a GP-688 ford pulley and a mk1 adjuster bracket from ebay
trying the mk1 bar from ebay
Image 171903131A you might want to try something else
all I had to do was flatten it out and if I had the smaller radiator it would have worked. Stock a/c radiator upper hose hits the alt bad doing the adjuster bracket from the top.

Ok back to the other method... I ground on the bracket some more, got the alt a little closer and cut my adjuster bracket a litter shorter
Waved the magic torch and turned the mk1 long bracket into this
Image kind of a lot of work, extended the groove unnecessarily
drilled the hole and cut the end (twice), but there you have it
Image Still not great, but better.
38"x1/2" belt went on, which I think is the stock alt belt (almost didn't have to take out the alt pivot bolt) btw 25-9375 NAPA was the belt

Oh, and that ac radiator thingy- I don't know...
just be sure to wear some good dust and eye protector thingys if your gonna grind on that cast iron bracket. I used a respirator mask.
BTW, that iron dust will turn into visible rust if left on the metal of your car.
The fun thing is that your idea was like an upgrade to what i was thinking ahahaha i was thinking of using the original ac alternator holes on the top of the bracket, making it support the alt around the top. Using the ac compressor ones makes the engine bay was cleaner and more accessible. So thanks for the idea
Inner cheapness is a gift :lol: Having my mechanical engineering degree made mine extra sensitive and in my opinion, optimizing the "cost-function-work load" is the way to go. I could have gone with a full change to non ac alt and bracket but i simply preffer the hands on approach to safe for the engine rebuilt the car needs.

Was the pulley alignment hard after what you did?
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

The pulley alignment is relatively easy. I did remove a spacer behind the alt fan.
Btw, there is no keyway in that pulley but it seems to hold just fine. Using a air impact really helps.
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
ccarneiro
Glow Plug

Post by ccarneiro »

sgnimj96 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:13 am The pulley alignment is relatively easy. I did remove a spacer behind the alt fan.
Btw, there is no keyway in that pulley but it seems to hold just fine. Using a air impact really helps.
Really? :shock: I didn't disassemble it yet, but i thought there'd be some kind of keyway or a machined shaft of some sort, but i guess that nut just maked the trick. Ill be on holiday next week, I'll post my advances as i advance on this build and annoy people whenever I have some more doubts
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

There is no keyway in the pulley I used, so I had to leave the key out on the alternator shaft. Either that or notch out a keyway in the pulley, which I don't think is worth it.
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Looks like you did enough grinding. It sits nice and close to the bracket now.
For the 2-piece adjuster bracket I used an adjuster from a '91 Gold gasser,.. a MK2 adjuster bar.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ht=bracket
I bolted it to the 2 alternator holes,.. using the proper washer/spacers to keep it straight,.. I think it was a head bolt washer for an 11mm head.
This hole became the stationary hole, it moved down under the alternator and the short curved adjuster bracket with the slot was bolted to the alternator bracket. This also kept a bunch of adjuster bar from sticking up on the front.
I use this setup for all my MK1s too.
Thanks for posting all this info,.. it should make it easier for the next person.

Yes, there is no key. An impact seems to keep it together nicely.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.