Not much power after a pressure wash

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Kekkles
Glow Plug

Not much power after a pressure wash

Post by Kekkles »

Hi there!
This is my first post :)
Got a 79 diesel rabbit 1.5L idi for my first car.
Been doing most my own work on it for the past year.
It runs a little slow like 65 average top speed, except downhill :P
Went to do a compression test and had the injectors tested while out
2 tested bad so bought 4 remaned ones from bosch
Put them in and drove 50+ miles running really great and faster than ever

Next day went to pressure wash the engine after diesel had gotten on it coming from the out of the IP during compression test
It usually goes a little slower at first when i do a wash(i guess while it drys out?) which ive only done a couple times
But drove 30+ miles and 2 hours or so of city driving and it was REALLY slow, had to be a gear lower than i normally am everywhere
Hoped it needed to dry more
Next day it was still the same, i have to be at the high end of 2nd to be going the same speed i normally go in 1st
Thinking dirt filled water soaked into the air filter i replaced it, which was only 10 months old

Running better but still doesnt feel like it was before the wash
Oil doesnt look wet
Revs fine in neutral
Just cant seem to get rolling

Any ideas what water could have done to lose power?
The cap on my transmission is missing (the tdc hole) and my rear main seal leaks so dunno if that could have led to anything

Hope this post wasnt too long!
Maka
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Not much power after a pressure wash

Post by Fatmobile »

Got clear fuel lines?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

brakes dragging? :roll: you'd know it because the wheel would be hot after any driving
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

You can disconnect the stop solenoid on top of the ip to avoid diesel spillage during compression test.
I would start by loosening then retightening each injector line one by one while idling and listen. Should hear a difference - rougher idle. Basic functioning test of each cylinder
And clear lines.
If you suspect the air filter, just pull if and go for a quick drive with no filter. Close check for leaks at injectors and injector lines. Could even put a little oil around base of injectors and watch for bubbles.
I figure its easier to check injection function than some vague water problem.
New heat shields with injectors?
Could also see what some lubro molly diesel purge does.

Nice first car! (If you like this kind of thing )
Various vehicles in various states
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The MK2s have a blade on the pump so you can just unplug it,.. instead of the grommet you have to unbolt.
I use a blade from a dead headlight. Bend it straight and grind it down a little narrower.
I unplug it after and oil change so it isn't running while the system primes.

I assume you are too busy installing clear fuel lines to respond, ha.
Or installed clear lines to and from the pump, and between the injectors,.. and can now see the problem
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Kekkles
Glow Plug

Post by Kekkles »

Thanks for all the replys!!
Sorry it was my birthday when i posted and I was busy with my mom visiting and then work took over.

I went to readjust the accelerator cable feeling the pedal pushed past the floor made a difference and the adjusting screw was broke. Replaced the cable and now it runs great :)
After a year of driving with the old injectors now i can finally pull into traffic with some speed :p

I did remove the stop solenoid during testing but fuel still came out of the Out hole on top?
I had see through lines on all the injectors but just replaced them with the original design (braided rubber) and a T connector.
Theres still clear lines for the OUT and in. What would I be looking for?
When the injector lines were see through there was fuel in them all
Looked very thoroughly and saw no leaking fuel anywhere
Injection pump is also pretty new
I didnt undo the fuel unions as they were a pain to torque and I was hoping to not have to do that again so soon
I feel like the lines are not clogged though?
It sounds alot more diesel knocky then before the new injectors

It is really fun to have this car and learning to work on it :)
Hope your all having a great day
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

The clear lines are for looking for air in the lines, or in no start situations, basic fuel flow. Its a good thing to check before moving on to more involved testing when you are starting or running rough. Further testing/ tooling around is often ill advised if you havent ruled out air in the fuel system. If you do see air you can tell if its getting in before the injection pump or in the pump itself by having clear lines both in and out of pump.
The out bolt on top of the pump will pass fuel even with solenoid removed, just no fuel to injectors. You can leave return line hooked up during compression test for zero spillage.
The new injectors probably have slightly different breaking pressure than the old ones so your injection timing may be slightly altered even if the pump is in the same position. That'd be my guess for the knocking sound. If it sounds like marbles dropping on a plate, you would want to retard IP timing untill the sound just goes away. If its more of a dull knock, thats less simple and im not the best guy here to talk about it.
PLENTY of info on this site on IP timing if you care to poke around.
Glad you got power back, keep going!
Various vehicles in various states
Kekkles
Glow Plug

Post by Kekkles »

Well there are bubbles in the lines connecting the injectors to each other. And a little bit in the out line.
No air in the fuel filter line
Everyone whos helped me so far has said thats normal for there to be some air in those lines.
I do have a constant exhaust but can only see it at night and someone behind with their headlights lighting it up