Broken exhaust stud

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

scrounger
Glow Plug

Broken exhaust stud

Post by scrounger »

Been looking for help on getting my mk2 jetta TD back going. Kind of ran out of responses on the vwdiesel site. http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,46880.0.html

Have been taking all the bolts that I can get too. Initially thought that I would get the intake out first then lift the exhaust out. Found some videos but most show lifting the exhaust manifold out. or do the operation with the motor out of the car. The intake of the turbo seems to be in the way no matter what.

I have 4 outside bolts out of the intake The two marked in red are still fastened, I can get the ball end of a 6mm allen onto the part and drive it with a handle from behind the turbo. The bolt in the middle doesn't seem to have decent access.

As of yet I have not gone under the car to start removing things yet. Suspect that is the next step. Looking for some handholding.

Many of the same faces occupy both forums but thought that I would ask here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Broken exhaust stud

Post by Fatmobile »

Yep, you'll have to go underneath.
There are 4 bolts (12mm 12 point?) that hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold.
They are not easy to get to and will need a short breaker bar to remove.

They have to be removed before the turbo will come off and allow you to get to the intake bolts.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
scrounger
Glow Plug

Re: Broken exhaust stud

Post by scrounger »

Thanks FatM
Greetings from MO.

I found the pages in Bentley, in the Exhaust System and Emission Control section page 24-27. Just what you said. 12mm 12point Maybe the next iteration will be turboless. Will get the car up in the air and start wriggling around under it. Bolts exposed to exhaust heat are always fun. I ordered a swivel 12pt socket as that is what they show in the pic.

We are in the middle of firewood season, will report back the fun.