Tech FAQ Thread

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Re: Better to use kerosene

Post by v8volvo »

A couple quarts of ATF (auto trans fluid, any type) in the tank works also. Has saved my butt at least once.
Josh wrote:I must say, you'd be far better off running kerosene as a stop-gap fuel. Kerosene is sold in many of the same types of stores, and is cheaper. Best is to of course pack a gallon of fuel in your trunk in a small canister. I've a one-gallon red plastic tank. Every few months when I fill up, I'll pour it into the main tank, and then refill the small tank from the pump. This keeps the fuel fresh, just in case (never had an issue with running old fuel).

-Josh
Big Bad Subaru wrote: I also found out the other night, that if it is late at night, all the gas stations are closed, and you aren't quite sure if you are going to make it home, you can go to the 24 hour food store and buy a gallon of veggie oil and make it home without having to walk :-) Ran just fine, fired right up the next morning, and made it to the gas station to fill the tank with some of that yucky dino fuel...
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Buying VW Diesel Guide Checklist

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

Here is a checklist that I made up and will follow when looking at a VW Diesel car. I sort of got screwed the last time buying my current Jetta because the guy had drilled holes in the radiator cap to protect the head gasket and I did not see it till after it was long bought and paid for. So the head gasket went bad. I thought I would share it to everybody and we can all edit it and refine it as needed. This is just a guideline to know how much work the car really will need and how much the guy selling you the car is telling the truth. Some of these are obvious and some are redneck test.

Most Important things to check:
1.Before starting the car, pop the hod and be ready to take radiator cap off or look to see if holes are drilled in the cap. Start the car, immediately take the radiator cap off and place hand over the hole and see if it is pressurizing. If it is, head gasket is bad. Radiators take time to pressurize when normally warming up.
2.When test driving car, find a level place to park the car. Shut the engine off. Put the transmission is fifth gear. Try to push the car forward. The car has to be hard enough to push that leaning at a 45 degree angle your body weight alone will not move the car. The car can move a little, but it has to be hard to do. Do it so that all four cylinders go through this test. If the car is easy to move, than the rings are bad.
3.While parked with the parking brake on and engine running, put the transmission in fifth gear keeping the clutch depressed. Rev the engine up to about 3000 rpm and slide your foot off of the clutch to pop the clutch as fast as possible. Listen to how fast the engine dies. If it dies slowly, the clutch is bad. If it dies really fast, then the clutch is somewhat good.

Things to check while test driving:
4.How the car steers and braking handing.
5.Notice how the vacuum on brakes feel.
6.Stomp on accelerator and let off and notice slack in transmission or noises in transmission, like main bearing out. Also, shift really fast to test synchronizers.
7.Notice handling as far as shocks
7.5 Look for smoke out of exhaust, and note the color.

Less Important Things to check:
8.Rust on body, suspension, and on floor boards.
9.Leaks on any and every fluid.
10.Check clutch pedal level, make sure there is slack on the top of the pedal.
11.Tire wear (can indicate alignment, wreck, or shocks gone bad).
12.Look at VIN and make sure it has not been defaced
13.Check oil, notice any water or strong diesel smell to it.
14.Close and shut all doors and trunk.
15.Move vent level on all settings and feel air at each spot.
16.Test the heat, notice if any cool air is coming out at the same time as the heat. The foam on the vent doors may have fallen off.
17.With hood up, engine running and parking brake on, put transmission in first gear and let up on clutch slowing and see how much engine moves (engine mount test). If it moves alot in one direction, an engine mount may be bad. A bad engine mount can cause dints on the hood from the engine.
18.Let engine idle to get hot enough to see if radiator fan comes on.

'89 Diesel Jetta NA 1.6 L (444,500 mi)
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Drive Axle Flange Seal Replacement DIY/Homemade tool

viewtopic.php?t=6352

Enjoy :)

-Matt
vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

Gearwrenches (the ones with the switch) make a great tool for putting the 5mm (global moderator says 8mm :lol: ) nuts on glow plugs. (when injector lines are installed) They are tapered so the nut will not slide through. Use a thin piece of cardboard to hold the nut in place and then slide it out when nut is positioned on the stud.
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy
ajt3nc
Cetane Booster

Post by ajt3nc »

This is a link to a very detailed heater core replacement how-to with pictures.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3581605
86 n/a jetta , 89 td 1.6, 05 passat 2.0 tdi 07 wrx,
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

IS MY HEADGASKET BLOWN?

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Here is the IP disassembly and reassembly thread...

viewtopic.php?t=6694
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Bosch VE pump publication

Post by TonyB »

This link is to an excellent PDF file of of the workings of the Bosch VE injection pump and injectors.

http://etc.gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Bosc ... _Pumps.pdf

TonyB
Jacksonville, FL
81 Dasher 1.6na
Corlebra
Glow Plug

Re:

Post by Corlebra »

libbybapa wrote:IS MY HEADGASKET BLOWN?

...When shut down, the pressure from the cooling system can push coolant into the cylinder. If that cylinder is on the intake stroke or compression stroke, the next time the engine is cranked over it will hydro-lock if the amount of coolant in the cylinder exceeds the combustion chamber size. If the cylinder is on the power or exhaust stroke when the engine is shut down, then the coolant will be expelled out the exhaust system when the engine is cranked over.

Andrew
This is what happened to me. High pressure in my hoses, lose of power and extremely smokey white exhaust. after pulling it back in the shop, you could actually hear the water seeping into the cylinder. When i hand cranked it you could hear air being pushed into a coolant passage, by the next day when it cooled down i could BARELY hand crank the engine over.

Good write up ;)
91 ECOdiesel- Coilovers - MBC - 30yo 1.6 powerplant :(
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Re:

Post by Quantum-man »

Corlebra wrote:

...When shut down, the pressure from the cooling system can push coolant into the cylinder. If that cylinder is on the intake stroke or compression stroke, the next time the engine is cranked over it will hydro-lock if the amount of coolant in the cylinder exceeds the combustion chamber size. If the cylinder is on the power or exhaust stroke when the engine is shut down, then the coolant will be expelled out the exhaust system when the engine is cranked over.

Andrew
This is what happened to me. High pressure in my hoses, lose of power and extremely smokey white exhaust. after pulling it back in the shop, you could actually hear the water seeping into the cylinder. When i hand cranked it you could hear air being pushed into a coolant passage, by the next day when it cooled down i could BARELY hand crank the engine over.

Good write up ;)
Fascinating. Not that I would ever try to create a disagreement, but it seems to me this must be one hell of a rare event :shock:
How can it be that a head gasket can develop a leak that is so bad that it can allow water to seep across under a maximum of 20psi, yet a hot gas with 50x the pressure AND 1/50th of the viscosity, doesn't do the usual thing and push the water out of the cap, or blow the rad hose up like a balloon? Failure on a short journey, or topping up a known problem perhaps :?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Re:

Post by libbybapa »

libbybapa wrote:And finally, leakage between a coolant passage and a cylinder will result in pressurization of the expansion tank when running due to the high compression of a diesel engine. Some coolant may make it into the cylinder on the intake or exhaust strokes, but usually not much by the time pressurization has caused a slew of other problems such as burst hoses, burst expansion tank, extreme over-heating. When shut down, the pressure from the cooling system can push coolant into the cylinder. If that cylinder is on the intake stroke or compression stroke, the next time the engine is cranked over it will hydro-lock if the amount of coolant in the cylinder exceeds the combustion chamber size. If the cylinder is on the power or exhaust stroke when the engine is shut down, then the coolant will be expelled out the exhaust system when the engine is cranked over.
Here's the whole paragraph, Mark, so you can see it even after I delete the source. When the engine is **shut down**, there is not any pressure in the cylinder and usually about 14-15 psi in the cooling system. I have seen two VW diesels that were hydrolocked from a leaky head gasket, so is it rare? Probably, but "one hell of a rare event"? I don't know. Now, because I find that you actually do like to try to create disagreements (through ambiguity, omission and even outright falsehood) and continuing discussions with you hasn't ever benefited me at all, I will opt out of this conversation at this point and delete my previous post so as to eliminate it as a source of further prodding from your nonsense stick. Good luck with your pro-volking. :lol:
Corlebra
Glow Plug

Re: Re:

Post by Corlebra »

Quantum-man wrote:
Corlebra wrote:

Andrew

Good write up ;)
Fascinating. Not that I would ever try to create a disagreement, but it seems to me this must be one hell of a rare event :shock:
How can it be that a head gasket can develop a leak that is so bad that it can allow water to seep across under a maximum of 20psi, yet a hot gas with 50x the pressure AND 1/50th of the viscosity, doesn't do the usual thing and push the water out of the cap, or blow the rad hose up like a balloon? Failure on a short journey, or topping up a known problem perhaps :?

For the record, mine was gushing from my rad cap from the higher than normal pressure. Also when i got it, the coolant cap's seal was gone which probably didn't help out.
91 ECOdiesel- Coilovers - MBC - 30yo 1.6 powerplant :(
wdyasq
Glow Plug

Re: Tech FAQ Thread

Post by wdyasq »

My first post here but, my 'necessary' tool in the diesel tool box is the outboard boat fuel pump bulb. You can fill filters and pumps and delete air. When I was wrenching diesels all of the time, I had a bolts for the pump air/fuel bleed that had a fitting for a vacuum line attached. I'll guarantee I can get ALL of the air from a fuel system with a vacuum pump. UNLESS, it is the air past the pressure pump on a very small diesel and it develops an 'air-spring' in the line between distribution pump and injector and the injector never 'pops'. One has to partially disassemble an injector in that case.

Ron
Josh
Turbo Charger

Re: Injector return hoses

Post by Josh »

I tried this on my last vehicle refresh, and the nylon hose leaked badly. I replaced it with stock rubber hose, and the problem was gone. I wouldn't again bother trying to use nylon air brake line.
hoyt wrote:Info posted by Sharkey:
If you want to put an end to replacing the injector return hoses, don't use the crappy rubber hose.

Instead, go to an industrial tubing and hose jobber and purchase a length of ¼" nylon air brake line. It's about $.50/ft. This is rigid tubing, but it fits perfectly over the barbs on the injectors and return banjo on the pump. It's unaffected by petroleum diesel and Biodiesel. ~And~ it comes in colors, black, red and blue!

One warning: This stuff is one-time use. If you attempt to pull the tubing off to remove an injector, etc, either replace the tubing, -or better- cut the length long when you first install so you can trim the end and use a fresh bit of tubing on the barb next time. I've been using this stuff for a few years now and I'd never go back to rubber (mostly because the Biodiesel turns rubber to goo really fast!)
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?