Anybody own an '83 diesel?

Moderator: Fatmobile

Josh
Turbo Charger

Anybody own an '83 diesel?

Post by Josh »

Turns out this '82 of mine's head seems to be in fine shape; it started up instantly, and there's no signs of leakage or power problems thus far...

However, it obviously has had cooling system issues; presumably the latest coolant work was a replacement plastic tank.

(The vans have a plastic tank resembling an expansion tank, but it's not. The regular big hoses hook up to it, and it carries the radiator cap. A seperate small plastic tank with the typical little 1/4in-ish tubing is still a part of the system, but to be clear, this tank is NOT the expansion tank like you see on a quantum or a rabbit.)

Their's still a sticker on the tank, identifying it as a '83 tank. The fittings for the hoses are larger than the '82 hoses, so the previous owner/mechanic stupidly jammed some adapter fittings in there, which caused the hoses to kink and then of course the van overheated, I assume.

What I'm wondering is this; to remedy the problem, might I just replace my '82 hoses with the larger diameter '83 hoses, thereby also increasing the efficiency of the system overall?

I guess I'm going to need to discover the diameters of the '83 hoses, to see if they'll clamp on to the '82.

Can anyone measure??

Thanks,
-Josh
william thompson
Glow Plug

83 hose sizes

Post by william thompson »

I have all three 83s wasserboxer-air and diesel. Do you still want the sizes, or do you want the hoses? The wasserboxer is my partswagen.
Be careful what you:
think- you might say it.
say- you might do it.
do- you might make it a habit.
habit- it will be your legacy.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Diameters would still be good to know.

Post by Josh »

Bill,

I'm sorry to not have responded earlier; didn't notice the post!

I think it'd still be good to find out the diameters of the '83 hoses; one has to assume that the revisions to the '83 were undertaken for good reason, and that the '83 cooling system is better than the '82. If the '82 can be converted to '83 specs, it'd be good to know.

Thanks,
-Josh