I Need '82 coolant tank part #

Moderator: Fatmobile

Josh
Turbo Charger

I Need '82 coolant tank part #

Post by Josh »

The coolant tank which has the radiator cap on it; I need the part number from an '82, and desperately!

I know it's NOT 068 121 405D. It could be 068 121 405BU. It's crucial that somebody find this out for me; the dealerships don't know, the factory repair manual doesn't tell me, and Obi Wan Kenobi hasn't been answering his phone lately.

-Josh
hoyt
Diesel Freak

Post by hoyt »

According to http://www.busdepot.com/
the part number is 068 121 405B.
--John
'82 Diesel Vanagon
Josh
Turbo Charger

Thanks for that link, John!

Post by Josh »

John,

I have seen that keen diagram they've got of the entire coolant systems, which is somewhat helpful. Yet still, I'm reluctant to put in an order at the dealership for a part # that I'm not certain of, because of their 20% restocking fee.

It doesn't help that I trusted another auto parts website which claimed to have the tank for the '82 diesel, then sent me the '83. They too are trying to stick me for a restocking fee! Ack. That and shipping gets expensive.
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

If you need the expansion bottle, I have one out in the garage that came out of either an 80 or 81 rabbit. No cracks. It appears to be in good condition.

After posting, I realized this is the vanagon forum, but maybe it would work. If you're interested, I'll send you a digital pic.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

MayorDJQ,

Thanks for the offer, but you're right, the rabbit part won't work.

This tank has a radiator cap on it, and the diameters of the hoses are evidentally peculiar only to the 1982 diesel vanagon. It's a pain!

But I appreciate your offer; thanks!

-Josh
vwtyp133(forgot to login)

Post by vwtyp133(forgot to login) »

The ETKA in my computer says the reservoir is # 068 121 405B, and the cap is # 025 121 321. Hope that helps.

J.R.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Thanks!

Post by Josh »

I'll see if I can find one! Thanks! (dual confirmation is as good as an eyeball, right?)